Seeking suggestions for getting through a rough patch

Started by Poison Ivy, April 30, 2023, 04:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poison Ivy

Thank you again for the comments. They're helpful. Obviously, I'm still working through my "I spent more than half my life with you, and you dumped me and our children" feelings.

1footouttadefog

Your child worker her way through to a PHD!  First Congrats.

But also, sounds like she is stable, has a relationship that is stable and her future ahead of here.  I would suspect she knows alot about the reality of who your ex really is and that she might not be nearly as emotionally invested in his presence or lack of presence at the graduation as you are.

I hope all goes well with your trip to the graduation and that you soon find yourself less depressed. 

Some of the elderly people I lived near in the Applachian Mountains decades ago had some colorful sayings.  One of then was "Don't Borrow trouble from tomorrow"

Poison Ivy

Here's an update. The week before Mother's Day, soon-to-be-Ph.D. child said that she had been communicating with her dad about graduation (she wants him there!) but he had started ghosting her again. We agreed (I can't recall who suggested it) that we could try having a Facebook Messenger chat on Mother's Day: ostensibly in honor of me (the mother) but with the primary goal of finding out the status of dad's travel plans. So that is what we did. All four of us (both children, ex, and me) showed up for the video chat, and ex bought plane tickets later that day.

By the way, today is the seventh anniversary of the finalization of our divorce. Seven years seems significant, but the day itself has been fine: neither especially bad nor especially good.

1footouttadefog

I am glad that this issue is resolved to this extent.  Hopefully this makes the time between now and the event more pleasant. 

Glad your 7 year mark was at least not horrible.  "Special" days can be intense so not especiaĺy bad is good by comparison. .  IMy anniversary each year is a shamas I go through the motions of going out to eat.  My spouse likes the numerical aspect of things as he is OCD about all manner if numbers and dates.  That is about the meaning  of the day in total.