The decline is escalating

Started by OddFamily, November 08, 2021, 12:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OddFamily

I've been kind of quiet for some time because by and large things had been bumping along at a tolerable level with grandma.  It's now starting to get much worse, cognitively she's going downhill, and I think it's exacerbating things.  She's starting to pitch more and more fits about things not being done the way she wants them.  The latest was she threw away some of her caregiver's food that she didn't want.  It's not yours and no one was asking you to eat it. 
She's starting to fixate on certain things, and that was what happened when my grandfather's Alzheimer's was starting.
Mom's looking to take her to see an assisted living next week, she's going to hate it and reject all thoughts of moving.  But her next door neighbor was moved involuntarily after a broken hip, so I hope that shook some sense into her.

SunnyMeadow

Assisted living sounds like a good place for her to be. I sure hope it goes well.  :hug:

Sneezy

Assisted living sounds like a very good place for your grandmother and I hope she agrees to move.  Although it's hard to say if her neighbor being involuntarily moved will make an impact on how your grandmother perceives her situation.  Many people with memory loss, Alzheimer's disease, and/or dementia still think they are perfectly safe and perfectly capable of taking care of themselves.  Often they forget more recent memories and so the memories that are more vivid for them are the memories from long ago when they were young and capable of living on their own and running their own lives.

Memory loss is also selective.  My uHMIL knows who everybody is, but can't remember her phone number or address.  She remembers to take the dog for a walk, but not always to feed the dog (don't worry, FIL makes sure the dog is fed).  It's a strange and sad disease, and adding a PD to the mix can make it more difficult.  You are very sweet to be concerned about your mom, because this sounds like a lot of work and worry for her, and I'm sure she appreciates all your moral support.  Hang in there  :)