My mother would have an attempt, but I think it's still manipulation.

Started by Maxtrem, March 04, 2024, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxtrem

I'm not sure who to talk to about it.

I posted not long ago and it got out of hand.

A friend of the family called to tell me that my mother had taken 50 pills, but that she's fine and that she threw them up.

Of course, my mother doesn't want to go to hospital as an ambulance would be expensive (she has the money).

The sad thing is that this is probably another manipulation and not an attempt. By dint of making fake suicide threats to manipulate and guilt trip, I've become immune to it, I guess.

I spoke to her at 10 p.m. and she called her friend at 11 p.m. and chatted for over an hour. She would have hung up with me, took 50 heart pills, threw them up and had the energy to talk for more than an hour on the phone to her friend.

It seems that this morning she's fine, her friend called her back and talked for more than an hour.

moglow

And she's using this friend as her messenger for this nonsense?? That's just cruel. Like you said, you can't do a right thing here - ignore and you're the horrible terrible. Act on it and you're overdramatic.

For your peace of mind, going forward if you get these messages, send an ambulance. She can be embarrassed or mad or shown up as a liar (and abusing emergency services!) Or she can stop making those threats. You have no way of knowing what she has or hasn't done and it's not your responsibility to stop her. I realize she's just trying to get your attention but that's better done by being an adult and respecting others. Mo[color=var(--input-txt-color)]ot point I know. [/color]

I feel for you, Maxtrem, wish I had answers. I'm glad you have us.

"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Call Me Cordelia

What a horrible, horrible situation. All this is triggered by trying to set boundaries around toys? Your mother has serious problems, to say the least, and you can't fix any of it. She either thinks it's okay to mess with her medication like that or to simply lie about it. My money's on the latter, I agree with you there, but either way, majorly messed up and she simply doesn't see that. She thinks your boundary is her problem and this is a viable way to get around that. :stars: I'm so sorry. But it's truly helpful to get these heavy doses of the reality of the sort of person you are dealing with. As Moglow says, this is a no-win situation for you to engage directly. She's pushing you into an impossible position here, as far as having anything resembling a normal relationship goes.

mary_poppins

This is a horrible situation, and a horrible manipulation from your mom's part. I've read that borderline personality disordered individuals use suicide threats to keep people emotionally dependent on them.
They perceive threats where there are no threats. They are extremely afraid of being abandoned. If you abandon them they'll threaten you with something because they feel as if they lost their power and control over their lives. Pls stay away from such people.
"There's the whole world at your feet. And who gets to see it but the birds, the stars, and the chimney sweeps." -Mary Poppins

mary_poppins

BTW, I think for PD people our boundaries=we are abandoning them. You can't set boundaries with them and feel good about it.
"There's the whole world at your feet. And who gets to see it but the birds, the stars, and the chimney sweeps." -Mary Poppins