article on Narcissists' popularity

Started by LemonLime, September 01, 2022, 09:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LemonLime

I thought this was an interesting article on Narcissists' "popularity".   The 2 N's I've dealt with have been quite charismatic types, physically attractive and creative.   This is interesting information:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/why-do-narcissists-lose-popularity-over-time?utm_source=pocket-newtab

NarcKiddo

Thank you for posting this.

My uNPD mother is very popular (initially). Drives me bonkers how people who have met her a couple of times will gush about her to me. "Oh, you're going to visit your mother. Lucky you. She's SO wonderful. SUCH fun."
Don't let the narcs get you down!

treesgrowslowly

Great article! Thanks for sharing that LemonLime.

I am encouraged to read that after only 3 weeks, the study participants could see through the narc behaviours they initially coded as "positive".

I do think that a lot of charismatic narcissistic types do really well in job interviews, and can keep up the image while they are being considered for a job. As soon as they are in a secure position, wow, they can really change. Their colleagues are now stuck working with a narc that HR couldn't see through fast enough (or didn't care to see through).

I laughed out loud when reading about what clinicians can do to help narcs. Are any of them even in therapy to actually change?? I wish I felt that optimistic.

I'll keep in mind this idea of the 'emerging zone'. I prefer to stay out of any narc zone, period these days.

Trees

sunshine702

Yes this is very interesting.  The Narc LOVES first impressions.  They are very good at it.  Like a con artist.  They pick up on tiny details.   The bag of golf clubs in the corner of the office.  The McDonald's bag in the trash and weave some tales.  Big funny and endearing stories.  People like that.  They feel like fate.  Only it's a facade.  Then love bombing - flattery taking interest.  Big perfect gifts.   Then the devalue. 

I found it interesting that a Narc knows the charm is wearing off but don't care. The four month mark is interesting.