Hi. I’m new. And VERY grateful to have found this forum.

Started by Badlands, August 06, 2019, 10:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badlands

Hi, I'm new here. I'm in my early 40's, happily married-and the child of a mother who has a lot of narcissistic personality traits, is quite literally the most controlling, judgemental and at times manipulative person I've ever met, and was at times physically abusive in addition to emotional and mental abuse, and a father with crazy anger/rage issues and zero ability to see anyone else's perspective besides his own, also physically abusive. I found this forum after a particularly bad episode last night with one of my parents while they were in my town visiting. While my DH (I hope I'm using that abbreviation correctly; I believe that's dear husband?) is the most understanding, happy-to-listen-and-try-to-empathize type of guy-always supportive and also is the most even keeled person from a "normal" family I think I've ever met-he can't really understand what it's like to deal with parents/family dynamics such as my own, no matter how much he's tried. It's the same with friends, many of my friends have their own family issues but they aren't really similar to mine, and other friends can't relate whatsoever as they haven't experienced family with PDs/abuse/etc. I don't want to drag my family or friends in to how I feel or what I've been through, so I'm hoping that this forum will be a place where I can open up and also provide support to others.

Anyways, thanks for this place. 🤗

p123

Quote from: Badlands on August 06, 2019, 10:23:29 AM
Hi, I'm new here. I'm in my early 40's, happily married-and the child of a mother who has a lot of narcissistic personality traits, is quite literally the most controlling, judgemental and at times manipulative person I've ever met, and was at times physically abusive in addition to emotional and mental abuse, and a father with crazy anger/rage issues and zero ability to see anyone else's perspective besides his own, also physically abusive. I found this forum after a particularly bad episode last night with one of my parents. While my DH (I hope I'm using that abbreviation correctly; I believe that's dear husband?) is the most understanding, happy-to-listen-and-try-to-empathize type of guy-always supportive and also the most "normal" person I think I've ever met-he can't really understand what it's like to deal with parents/family dynamics such as my own, no matter how much he's tried. It's the same with friends, many of my friends have their own family issues but they aren't really similar to mine, and other friends can't relate whatsoever. I don't want to drag my family or friends in to how I feel or what I've been through, so I'm hoping that this forum will be a place where I can open up and provide support to others.

Anyways, thanks for this place. 🤗

hi badlands and welcome...

SerenityCat

Welcome!

We are glad that you are here. I've found this forum to be a place of understanding, compassion, and inspiration.

Penny Lane

Adding my welcome and yep, you got the abbreviation right! Glad you found us and I hope this place can offer the support you need. See you around the boards.

Drawing_boundaries

Welcome Badlands (great name by the way!)
I found this site so useful - knowing that others have been, are going through and even escaped from PD life has been very reassuring for me. I hope you too are able to get that from this site.

ravenlkawritingdesk

Welcome! Also new here and so grateful to have found people who understand. Sending you lots of good vibes and healing- we got this.  :cool2:

Roza

Welcome, I too hope you can get some peace from this forum. We are all in the same boat. We can heal together.

Fortuna

Welcome!
I have a DH like that too. The great thing is you can tell him the things she says and does and get 'normal' responses, like 'who says that?, or 'She did what?' He is your support structure. If he's had to witness any of her behavior he probably knows it's not typical already. It's a good start in realizing that this isn't how mothers are supposed to act.
I'm glad you found this forum and can get support from others who can gone through similar things.