Diagnosis and validation

Started by EOU, February 28, 2020, 11:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOU

For a long time I've known that my sister had a PD— it's been a complicated dance for me granting myself the grace to operate under the frame while being the sole person who accepted it— but for 20 years I've been the go to for people when she blows up their lives or disappears, or robs them— it's further complicated because she is a RN, and she's smart, and quite pretty, and charming— and I haven't wanted to "slander" her— but as a family we have spent thousands of dollars sending her to treatment— I have spent years being sent to "rescue" her— or pull her out of a situation.
And today, on February 27, 2020 my sister was FINALLY diagnosed bipolar two, cyclothymia, and borderline personality disorder.
I'm just so glad I found this site a few years ago— so grateful for the shared wisdom and experiences and the space granted to the family and loved ones of people with personality disorders here on this platform. And as much as I wish I didn't belong here, that this wasn't a diagnosis my sister has to learn to live with— nor something that everyone who loves her has to experience—- I feel a sigh of relief— I feel a bit of freedom— and validation, because I have known for a long time that this was the case— and now she just said it back to me from a psychiatrist's office. And I hope she commits to her learning, and growth, and manages her care.
Ooofdah.

notrightinthehead

Welcome! You have found a place of information and support. Sounds like you have a plan on how to set boundaries with your sister and how to make sure that you protect yourself. See you around on the boards!
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

FogDawg

Greetings, EOU. I am glad that your thoughts of sis being bipolar were finally validated with a diagnosis, but it is too bad that it took so many years and placed you under much unnecessary stress during that time. I hope that things get easier. Best of luck.

fogremover

What was the lynch pin that got your sister in to be diagnosed?
My mother is uBPD, and yet I am at a loss as to how she could ever accept being diagnosed ...