Boundaries Sunday School Class

Started by Mary, August 08, 2021, 10:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary

Hi Friends,
I walked into a new Sunday School class for Christian women this morning, not realizing that the topic would be on boundaries.
I thought I would share my notes by way of review of this area that I definitely need to continue growing in.

A boundary is
*Where your responsibility ends and another's begins
*Not rescuing others from destructive behavior
*If someone is overstepping your boundary, they are letting you know what you want doesn't matter

To establish a boundary:
*Communicate it verbally and then in actions.

Boundary violations
*Spending time with people to the point of exhaustion.
*Not speaking up when something is important to me.
*Overgiving without telling/asking for my own needs.
*Not making our opinions a priority.
*Not speaking up when we have hit an emotional or physical limit. We should reach out for help.

Why do we allow our boundaries to be violated?

*We don't take ourselves seriously.
*We don't hold people accountable.
*We apologize for setting our boundaries.
*We allow too much flexibility-"OK, just this time..." Note that God is not the author of confusion, and backing off on our boundaries is confusing.
*We haven't verbalized our boundary. If it stays in your head, it festers and grows.
*We assume people will figure out our boundary based on how we act when they violate the boundary.

Attachment
*We need secure attachment to God. Insecure attachments to unhealthy people, circumstances, or titles can make us unhealthy and sick.
*Quote from Henry Cloud, "You get what you tolerate."
*Healthy attachment relationships make you better as a person in the eyes of God and speak life/truth to you.
*A warning sign of an unhealthy relationship is that you have to defend it to other people.

Reflection
*Validate or invalidate your emotions based on truth.
*Rely on God when holding a boundary.
*I refuse to please others at the expense of my emotional well being even if it means saying no to people who are used to me saying yes.

Mary

For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. (Isaiah 54:5)

Boat Babe

That is very useful. Thank you Mary. I will flag it up to reread.
It gets better. It has to.