Today's progression of doom

Started by Sneezy, February 28, 2022, 11:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sneezy

I have to laugh or I'd cry:

Mom - I got a form in the mail.  It's something to do with my pension.
Me - Mmmhmm, it's probably a tax form, take it when you go to H&R Block next week.
Mom - No, I think they're stopping my pension.
Me - I don't think they can do that.
Mom - Yes, they can and then I won't be able to afford to live.
Me - Well, I haven't seen anything in the news about Company X defaulting on their pensions.  But if it makes you feel better, give them a call.
Mom - Everything is awful.  I won't have any money.  I will be out on the street.
Me - It will be ok mom, I promise you'll be fine.
Mom (said with a big wail now) - Why don't you ever take me shoe shopping????????

At this point, I suddenly had an email that I had to answer.  It's just another day in mom's never-ending cycle of doom and gloom.  :stars:

moglow

Mo takeaway of her logic:
They're stopping my pension so we must go shoe shopping because you're being mean.

Got it.

The mind boggles.
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

SunnyMeadow

Well, thankfully that email came in at just the right time!  ;D

My mom is all about the gloom and doom too, so hard to listen to.

Sneezy

We have the same discussion every year when she starts getting tax forms together.  Her pension is going to be taken away and she will be out on the streets.  And the discussion always ends with me being mean to her and refusing to take her shopping or otherwise entertain her.  It never ends, does it?

GentleSoul

lkdrymom

Next time try pointing out that going shopping when her pension is in peril is probably not the best idea.  I want to hear about that reaction.