Freudian slips

Started by Cat of the Canals, June 05, 2023, 02:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cat of the Canals

Similar to the batsh!t crazy thread, I was wondering if your PD has ever made any amusing Freudian slips?

My PDmil had one this week. She absolutely HATES her own MIL (let's call her Lucy), for no reason other than existing, as far as we can tell. MIL was giving a health update on Lucy to my husband. A while back Lucy had a joint replacement which resulted in a very serious infection. Upon recounting this, PDmil says, "Then Lucy got that infection that thankfully almost killed her."

She didn't even notice the slip, just kept right on talking. I think she meant to say that it thankfully DIDN'T kill her or almost killed her but THANKFULLY didn't.  :upsidedown:

moglow

... Or did she? Mine used to make a gracious plenty of similar "slips" like that. If called on it she'd back down quick fast and in a hurry, but underlying was still a malicious glee. 
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Cat of the Canals

Good point. There really is no telling. When her sister-in-law (who she also despises for no reason) was diagnosed with breast cancer, she said, "I DO feel bad for her..." in the most begrudging tone I've ever heard. Like it wounded her deeply to have to extend even a shred of empathy to this woman. I didn't think that one was a slip, just a PD being a little too honest.

moglow

That they/she feels the need to quantify it with that "I DO feel bad for her ..." seems to negate the statement. It's like  inserting "but" in a statement, how it essentially cancels out whatever came before it. My mind hears "I DO feel bad for her BUT she deserved it/did it to herself/shouldn't have xyz." It's like she doesn't see how we can all feel genuine empathy even for people we don't particularly like.
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish