Politics

Started by Jsinjin, March 18, 2020, 10:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jsinjin

My uOCPDw is a local politician     she always has been.    From the first day we lived together she has attended every Civic meeting and event that could be named.   She runs for office co tinuously and can't miss a statement on Facebook or local groups online and correct people, argue or "fight falsehoods and misinformation"    the latest crisis is coronavirus which has her on task forces.    It's 24-7.    She has multiple degrees and phenomenal capabilities but insists on doing this work which results in  24-7 life of politics.   There is no salary which doesn't bother me except that she can't work in order to support the  time involved in politics.   We can't miss an event, we can't miss a single PTA meeting or town hall or anything that might have people at it for discussions.   It's 1030 pm in our part of the world and hse is loudly on a phone discussing strategy and policy with someone.   

My issue is that I don't care.   I never have.   I don't care at all.    All I want is to be married and take vacations and raise kids.   

I can tell such strange stories about her behavior.   When we moved to a different city she was on the city council in the old City and to hold onto it for the purpose of an upcoming vote on some bond election she drove over to the old house which we had not sold yet and spent the night from 11:30 to 12:01 ever night to satisfy the requirements that she "lived there" as she was spending the night there.   

That kind of attitude and stupidity is present in every part of our life.   

Does anyone else deal with a career politician?
It is unwise to seek prominence in a field whose routine chores you do not enjoy.

-Wolfgang Pauli

ICantThinkOfAName

One of my acquaintances is heavily into politics and she is what you describe.  She does get paid for some of the stuff she does so that is different but she is black and white on all policies and will correct you in a heartbeat.  I've had to ignore her on Facebook as I'm tired of the call this number and complain about this issue posts.  Not that what she is doing is bad, overall I'm glad we have people who want to fight to make things right.  I do feel however, that she can be righteous to a point of judgement and her having all the facts makes her powerful and impossible to say anything different. 

I feel sorry for her husband, he doesn't even bother to have his own political views around her.   

Whiteheron

Quote from: Jsinjin on March 18, 2020, 10:41:25 PM
All I want is to be married and take vacations and raise kids.   

No, but I felt this. All I wanted was a simple life...
You can't destroy me if I don't care.

Being able to survive it doesn't mean it was ever ok.

Sweetbriar

I have two neighbours like this. I read somewhere that power positions attracts PD's and that government has a high amount of psychopaths. Both of my neighbours in politics are very charming and always working the room. They never turn it off. I can't imagine what it would be like married to one of them. I can imagine it is exhausting. Could it be a kind of addictive behaviour?