Boundaries

Started by Breadroll, July 31, 2023, 11:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breadroll

After several weeks post my shortened and unsettling visit - my friendship -by phone -has returned to " a new normal" with friend of decades. I love her, and there is so much stuff going on that I have much compassion. Try to keep my news light- whilst giving a lot of support.

So much life shared, I miss her " old self" and yet feel guilty for doing so. Nearly anything is met with s critical comment - conversations on pets, or household repairs- and a new focus on " what time" things are done at, like an old person. Not sure she is aware of doing this- and not kind to mention - so I don't. It is obviously important to her. 

However, I feel as though I now hold better boundaries/ whilst talking there was an indication that my physical presence might be useful. Previously I would have offered- but this time I did not.

The boundary was a réalisation that I can't take the emotional fallout- I just can't.
So the boundary is about self care - a new one in this context.
Very very sad that this is the situation- could never have imagined it. But at peace with it.

A stray thought- this boundary is good for both of us- allowing continued connection. Maybe I am just a slow learner!

bloomie

Breadroll - you don't sound like a slow learner to me. You sound like a compassionate person who is trying to find healthy ways to stay engaged with a friend who has been unpredictable at best hurting you in the process.

Quote from: Breadroll on July 31, 2023, 11:50:34 PMHowever, I feel as though I now hold better boundaries/ whilst talking there was an indication that my physical presence might be useful. Previously I would have offered- but this time I did not.

The boundary was a réalisation that I can't take the emotional fallout- I just can't.
So the boundary is about self care - a new one in this context.
Very very sad that this is the situation- could never have imagined it. But at peace with it.

A stray thought- this boundary is good for both of us- allowing continued connection. Maybe I am just a slow learner!

:yes: Isn't it true that boundaries are good and give any relationship the best possible hope to continue? Love this insight! Something I needed to read today.
The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.

Breadroll

Thanks Bloomie! I do feel a bit slow sometimes which is why I got stuck with exnpd😁. Benefit of the doubt, etc- and trying to figure out why- like a puzzle - there must be a reason?

But in this case, friend of many years has been supportive and joyful friend. And it's heavy stuff- things are changing and I need to accept it,do my best...with my new boundaries.
Learning never really stops in life- certainly a reminder to me- and maybe it will resonate elsewhere🤗 take care

Breadroll

Personal update on life - realizing that I need to work on maintaining connections, being " in the world" a bit more - had people over to share a meal which was fun- and also caught up with another friend and her family . It was lovely- dinner in nice restaurant, kindness and conversation - I felt welcome and relaxed and enjoyed it.
A reminder that I am still human 😁

bloomie

Quote from: Breadroll on August 14, 2023, 03:21:34 AMPersonal update on life - realizing that I need to work on maintaining connections, being " in the world" a bit more - had people over to share a meal which was fun- and also caught up with another friend and her family . It was lovely- dinner in nice restaurant, kindness and conversation - I felt welcome and relaxed and enjoyed it.
A reminder that I am still human 😁

Beautiful update! And sounds lovely!
The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.

Breadroll

Thanks Bloomie! It was refreshing just to be welcome company - to share a table with positive conversations- in a balanced way.

Am holding my boundary - and am surprised that I can «  see it » a little better now. It feels a little lighter, am looking out for myself.

Breadroll

A bit more boundary testing recently - and  know deep down that holding the boundary is the right thing to do for my own wellbeing. Feels like I missed a chance to say goodbye to the " former" person, which is a bit dramatic, but sort of true.

There is a bit of change in me, as I navigate through this stage of life_ Making conscious decisions to widen circle, and to lessen interactions with certain friends where there are " power plays". -( we are all couples, you are a single person stuff- bit weird)
Treasure some great moments in the past - but no desire to play into this dynamic.
Thanks so much to Out of the FOG -  humanity in action