Senior pet not doing well

Started by Whiteheron, July 20, 2019, 06:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiteheron

I have a very senior pet who suddenly is having a hard time walking. Took it to the vet yesterday and they gave a steroid injection, saying the pet should feel much better today. Pet doesn't. I think pet is getting worse. Making messes all over the house (which is understandable). I've been expecting this for a while now, since the pet is so old, but it's hitting me pretty hard. The only other alternative is a medication that will enable pet to feel better, but will shorten it's time with us.

I'm already experiencing a little depression - not sure if it's hormonal, if it's because kids have been with stbx more over the summer, if the reality of my situation is just now hitting me (I am the master of suppression), I just don't know. What I do know is that I feel so very fragile and broken and I feel like I can't handle this right now. It's heartbreaking. I feel so bad for the pet. I have a hard decision to make soon and I wish I had someone to help, someone I could rely on. But I don't. I can't mention anything to stbx because he will make it all about himself. As usual.  I definitely know I can't handle dealing with him on top of everything else.

The kids are with stbx this weekend. I hinted that pet was having issues. I've been telling them that the pet doesn't have much longer...but I think this will hit them both really hard. They've known this pet all their lives. I don't know how to help them grieve when I am so broken.

I know I'll get through this, I always do. I just hope I'm able to help the kids deal with this. Thanks for reading.
You can't destroy me if I don't care.

Being able to survive it doesn't mean it was ever ok.

xredshoesx

thinking of you and sending love and peace and am keeping you in my thoughts.  my oldest pup is 14 and since he's had a stroke and some other health issues, every day has been a gift.

TriedTooHard

I'm so sorry.  Think about all the good, loving ways you cared for this animal, and how you did the right things for it, and how your children observed.

2_exhausted

:bighug:

Positive thoughts to you and your pet. The living being I love most in life is my dog. I feel she will die soon. She is old and has skeletal issues. I know she is also lonely, bc uBPD mom was home all day with her up until 6 months ago (UBPD mom was truly kind to the animals, once she realized they were staying).

I know it will trigger a depressive episode for me. I have no one else.

Do what you think best for your pet in regards to medication. I also refuse to give a popular medication. 

2xhausted

athene1399

I am so sorry, WH. I know how much I love my fur babies, so I can't begin to imagine what you must be feeling.  :bighug: Take it one day at a time or one minute at a time if you have to. You will get through this. You will be able to support your kids in their grieving. It is okay to be upset about this and it's okay to be sad in front of the kids.