12 days

Started by 11JB68, July 23, 2022, 09:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11JB68

To be clear,  I do not feel that I have a 'problem' with alcohol....
However,  I was starting to feel that it had become sort of a crutch, and also I'd like to lose some weight.... so 12 days ago I decided that I'd try to reduce my consumption.... I'm tracking on my phone calendar,  putting a star on each alcohol free day....12 in a row so far!
Anyone else doing something positive/healthy for yourself?

Happypants

Hi 11JB68, that's great going  :applause: It's difficult when you're used to leaning on something.

Feels like fate seeing this post today.  I'm on the cusp of making changes to a lot of things including more movement, diet, cutting down on wine, and most importantly, where my thoughts take me.  It's all about now focusing energy on what I need to be healthy and not feeling guilty about it.  Rather than avoiding life (and people) that make me unhappy and feel less than who I used to be, I'm turning frustration into action.  I'm still in here somewhere  :yes:

Keep going 11JB68  :yahoo:

SonofThunder

Quote from: Happypants on July 24, 2022, 02:30:32 AM
Hi 11JB68, that's great going  :applause: It's difficult when you're used to leaning on something.

Feels like fate seeing this post today.  I'm on the cusp of making changes to a lot of things including more movement, diet, cutting down on wine, and most importantly, where my thoughts take me.  It's all about now focusing energy on what I need to be healthy and not feeling guilty about it.  Rather than avoiding life (and people) that make me unhappy and feel less than who I used to be, I'm turning frustration into action.  I'm still in here somewhere  :yes:

Keep going 11JB68  :yahoo:
:yeahthat:  Well done 11JB68!

I enjoy a cold beer and a fine bourbon, year round.  I have always focused upon, and taught my (now adult) children (at appropriate ages), that beer, wine and spirits are a craft of excellence, and therefore to focus on the craft.  I have taught them that overindulgence, imo, negates the 'craft' mentality and imo cheapens the creator's intent of the the skills, talents and final product.  I taught them to taste for the crafter's intent; to notice the subtle differences in beer, wine and spirits.  They seem to have accepted the teaching and my adult children and I enjoy the craft tasting and sharing of opinion, as a hobby; as a style of quality and craftsmanship. 

Crafting excellent beer, wine and spirits is indeed a scientific, creative and delicate skill.  A visit to a fine distillery or winery for example, will help to understand the complex nature of the trade and grow appreciation for the craft, but also imo, that the craft should be partaken in a manner that is delicate, focused, careful and even traditional.  Therefore diving into the understanding the nuances, history and traditions will help to focus and elevate the mind and enjoyment to a very healthy, balanced hobby of interest, vs a habit or slight escape. 

To answer the question:

-practicing mindfulness, first thing in the morning and periodically during the day, to recognize the voice in my head and what conversation i am having with it, ( haha, sometimes in repetition) and allowing those thoughts to occur, yet pass through, not get into the perpetual cloverleaf on/off ramp. 

-in the morning, i am purposefully reading about a benign subject of interest and purposefully not about my past, but about living my daydreams going forward.

-I am getting up from desk periodically throughout the day and sequentially following a chart of resistance-band workouts, in sets of three for each exercise, with reps each set to muscle fatigue. 

-I am focusing in interest on honing a personal style; in my fashion, my hair, my cologne and my accessories.  Ive spent so much time being what someone else desired me to be and fighting that along the way.  In a celebration of freedom, peace, calm and focus, i am making this a proactive hobby. 

Wishing you all the best,

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

1footouttadefog

I have been eating better and drinking a lot more water and getting better sleep. 

I am getting up earlier and feeling more rested even if not great in the mornings.

I am getting more done each day and hope to keep leveling up. 

losingmyself

:applause:
Yay for you!! Congratulations!!

moglow

Quote from: SonofThunder-practicing mindfulness, first thing in the morning and periodically during the day, to recognize the voice in my head and what conversation i am having with it, ( haha, sometimes in repetition) and allowing those thoughts to occur, yet pass through, not get into the perpetual cloverleaf on/off ramp. 

Cloverleaf is such a good descriptive!! Around here and loop back over there, under this and over that. You can get to the off ramps but it sometimes takes a bit more effort than others.  :bigwink:

"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Boat Babe

That's good decision making right there! Maybe you could do some supportive journalling at this time, specifically from a positive point of view. Am I feeling better? What do I notice? Is my mood lighter? Stuff like that.

For me, booze is a major depressant and I drink very little now and don't miss it, at all. I feel much better for it.

Good luck with your proactive self care. That shows how far you've come. Major pat on back!!!!
It gets better. It has to.

JustKeepTrying

I applaud and admire you for taking such a big step 11JB68!  Woohoo!  You are inspirational!

I joined WW last night.  The doc has given me permission to diet so I am going to do it!  I know loosing the pandemic and divorce depression weight will help me overall with my joints and movement.  The doc says my leg is healed and I am released to start moving more - with many caveats - but still moving.  So I am really working toward that life of travel that I crave.  I think I can get there by the end of the year!!

I think all of you rock!

losingmyself

What an inspiration all of you are! So happy to hear good news!
I will join in, apprehensively, with improving my health by quitting smoking.
May we all live healthy, physically and mentally!

thduda

Yeah 11JB,

I also quit drinking and my skin looks better and I have already lost weight.  I started biking again after a hiatus due to a fractured collar bone.