The mother wound

Started by sunshine702, April 14, 2023, 11:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshine702

I have been reading "In the Realm of the Hungry Ghosts" by Gabor Mate.  It's about his work with homeless skid row drug addicts in Vancouver as a doctor for them.  He saw them 1 - a people and 2 - the trauma that was sitting inside them that started the addiction he felt .  He feels all addiction is sort of the same neurologically.  Pleasure over pain.  And the rawness of the mother wound.

With an NPD mom It was a lightbulb moment.  I have alcohol problems.  Have for two decades.  And if I stare straight at the problem it is the mother wound pain that I am trying to assuage. 

To the point that I want to work with a therapist on these two concurring issues - I think I may have some movement for once.  Longest I went was one year.  Does anyone know in the Addiction Recovery space someone who GETS NPD dynamics too?
I now see this as completely connected.  If I work on one I can dial back the second. 

Lookin 2 B Free

Hi, Sunshine.  I'm a recovering alcoholic/addict, sober many years.  How wonderful you are at this place!

I'm not sure what you are referring to by "Addiction Recovery space."   I think many, probably most, places that treat addiction these days also treat trauma.  I'm sure some of those are up on NPD.   I suppose you would have to speak with the provider to find out.  Many therapists, as well as treatment facilities, advertise these kinds of things. 

I totally agree with you that trauma and addiction are connected.  I wish you all the best!  If there's more specific info you're wanting, let us know.  <3

sunshine702

I just want to find a therapist that GET'S IT.  So many do not.  I guess you have to really dig.   I think I could make real progress if I work these issues concurrently. 
It could be a life coach, a pastor, a sponsor with AA.  I just want to find someone who understand yes the trauma, and who will walk with me on the path.  People who grew up in this environment feel so UNHEARD.  I just want someone who HEARS.   

Lookin 2 B Free

It may depend some on what part of the country / world you live in.  What I've seen in AA is that more people have caught on to this and are willing to talk about it, but some still are not.  My experience with trauma therapists is that they understand the connection.  But that may not be true everywhere. 

I think there are a lot of pretty mediocre therapists out there.  I don't want to waste time with that.  I've had much better luck with the few I've had who specialize in trauma.  That's just been my experience.

Pepin

Quote from: sunshine702 on April 14, 2023, 11:36:09 AM
I have been reading "In the Realm of the Hungry Ghosts" by Gabor Mate.  It's about his work with homeless skid row drug addicts in Vancouver as a doctor for them.  He saw them 1 - a people and 2 - the trauma that was sitting inside them that started the addiction he felt .  He feels all addiction is sort of the same neurologically.  Pleasure over pain.  And the rawness of the mother wound.

With an NPD mom It was a lightbulb moment.  I have alcohol problems.  Have for two decades.  And if I stare straight at the problem it is the mother wound pain that I am trying to assuage. 

To the point that I want to work with a therapist on these two concurring issues - I think I may have some movement for once.  Longest I went was one year.  Does anyone know in the Addiction Recovery space someone who GETS NPD dynamics too?
I now see this as completely connected.  If I work on one I can dial back the second.

Patrick Teahan comes to mind.  Look him up.  He has a lot of knowledge around alcohol, narcissism and codependency.  I'm literally blown away every time he posts something on YouTube.  He's another level. 

https://www.patrickteahantherapy.com/about/