Post-wedding dealing with FIL

Started by qcdlvl, May 11, 2019, 10:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qcdlvl

So my wife and I got married recently. FIL, whom I suspect of being NPD, was not invited to the wedding, and only found out about it afterwards from MIL, who made up excuses as to why she didn't tell him before (didn't tell him my wife had asked her not to tell him prior to the wedding, because she didn't want him there as she didn't know if he'd try to ruin it or what his attitude would be). Revealingly, when he found out she'd stayed at a hotel when she came for the wedding, he demanded to know who she'd shared the room with and professed great scepticism when she said she was alone (and MIL put up with it) - they split up many years ago and he's had children with other women since.
Anyway, though FIL previously refused to meet me and smeared me over the fact I didn't ask him for his daughter's hand in marriage, he claimed he would've come to the wedding had he known about it, which is almost laughable given how little he's been there for my wife.
My wife mentioned that she wants to let go of her anger at him and is considering contacting him. She asked me if I would support her and I said yes, but that I wasn't interested in being in contact with FIL myself. I also said that any contact with our child (we're expecting) would have to be directly supervised by me, even things like skype calls, to which my wife agreed immediately. She also said she would probably not be comfortable with in-person meetings anyway. Now, I don't expect FIL, even if my wife resumes contact with him, would take any real interest in our child (he didn't take much interest in his daughters, though they lived in the same town, and we live several hours away) but little and closely supervised conctact should be enough, I think. Obviously NC with our child is on the cards if he steps out of line. The big uncertainty for me is if my wife will resume contact and, if so, what degree of contact.
Anyway, what do you folks think? Did I handle it right? Is there anything I should be on the lookout for?

bloomie

qcdlvl - First, congratulations! Marriage and a sweet baby on the way! :cloud9: What an exciting time in your life together!

it sounds like you are respecting your wife's choices and finding a boundary line together in regards to your little one all in one fell swoop. That is pretty impressive to me! You are supporting and respecting each other and protecting your FOC and leaving a small window of opportunity for your fil. I hope he is wise enough to realize what a gift this is from you all and to handle all contact with care. Keep us posted how this is going.
The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.

qcdlvl

Thanks, bloomie!
I like how you describe it as a window of opportunity for FIL - it is narrowly open, but it will close if he doesn't take advantage of it in time. All of what we've heard about FIL comes from MIL, he seems to think it's beneath him to initiate contact with his daughter. Maybe she'll reach out to him, maybe not - but if she doesn't, I think NC will continue by default. In fact, she's been willing to respond to contact from him but after a conversation that went badly she got fed up with initiating contact which is how this period of NC got started. So we'll see.