Going to trial

Started by Liftedfog, October 12, 2019, 09:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liftedfog

I'm headed to trial. Was hoping to mediate but the other side was not negotiating in good faith.   I'm being asked for a 40,000 retainer. For those o f you who went to court, how much were the legal fees  for the trial??

Whiteheron

Oh lifted, I'm so sorry it's come to this.

I don't know how much it costs. I'm a few steps behind you - attempting to come to an agreement to avoid trial.
Hang in there.
You can't destroy me if I don't care.

Being able to survive it doesn't mean it was ever ok.

HotCocoa

Lifted, I just wanted to offer my support.  PD's gain nothing but want to keep dragging on the inevitable in the most expensive way possible. 
If there is any other less expensive way to go about this, I hope you find it.  This is unbelievable.  Dragging you into bankruptcy will get him nothing. 
I wish I could write how I really feel about PD's.  Please update us and I am saying a prayer for you.
The smarter you become about narcissistic abuse, the crazier the narcissist will say you are.

Liftedfog

It's become so complicated.  It's not my expdh forcing it to trial. He was deemed special party due to his mental illness.  He was appointed a public guardian trustee from the govt.  So this person and a lawyer call the shots. He has no voice.  He did tell my lawyer on a side that he wants to settle and not go to trial.  But it doesn't count.  His I'm basically negotiating with his lawyer not even my ex   lawyers  stand to make a lot of money dragging me to trial.  The system is broken and they are taking advantage of him.  The lawyers are eating up the equity from our home.   I'm in a horrible situation and only a miracle will end this without expdh and I left with no money. 

Poison Ivy

I'm sorry you're being victimized by the lawyers and the legal system, Liftedfog. I think what the lawyers are doing is immoral and unethical.

capybara

That sounds awful. It sounds like a bureaucrat is calling the shots. Is there any route to complain about his/her behaviour, or to force a mediation? Your lawyer must knows better than I do.

I would believe tens of thousands. It depends how long it goes on.

hhaw

I was told I was being ripped off when I paid a $25K retainer to an attorney who only asked for that much, bc he hoped I'd leave and not come back.  That's a crazy amount of money, IMO. '

I wonder if you can file something to force mediation, and avoid trial. 

Both parties wish to settle.... I don't know how attorneys get away with this.

What's there to fight over?

There are laws, and rules to be followed. Why can't the attorneys just follow them? 

hhaw

What you are speaks so loudly in my ears.... I can't hear a word you're saying.

When someone tells you who they are... believe them.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
Nietchzsche

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness."
Eleanor Roosevelt

Kat54

That is so horrible what is happening to you. You are being robbed blind. I'm so sorry.

We were close to heading to trial but have thankfully settled. It would of cost each of us about $10,000 - $15,000 for the trial alone. I had already payed out about $13,000, which my lawyer negotiated my ex pay me back $2,000 because of his stalling and delaying which was costing me.

Lawyer said this was a very simple divorce that he made complicated...hmm what a surprise. Complication and chaos, that's him.