LC but drained

Started by Tired20, January 24, 2021, 11:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tired20

I am LC with my NC mum and willing enabler father. They are older (mum nearly 80 and dad is 84). I didn't post on elderly parents thread as thought better on here. My mother is getting worse with age. I had a particularly stressful telephone conversation this morning and I am exhausted!

She is in the habit of having 'tummy bugs' before packing a case for any holiday, big event, or basically any time she is uptight about anything. She's been physically checked out several times and nothing found so it is clearly anxiety related.

She has now had a tummy bug since before Christmas although says she has no appetite. She is eating but not heavy meals  and she certainly doesn't look like she has lost any weight so personally I think its all melodrama. A gp fobbed her off a few weeks ago and she expected a pharmacist to help her which is just typical of her, expects people to be able to wave a magic wand and help her. She was even talking about calling nhs24 or going to a+e! During a global pandemic she was going to go to a+e about a lack of appetite and an upset stomach
:stars:

Today on the phone she was being a total nightmare. Going on and on about the pandemic,  all her ailments and how she can't go to out of hours clinic because its snowing and my dad might fall, how nobody listens ('nobody' being one gp!). She was as high as a kite and I almost burst into tears she wore me down so much. It was like she wanted me wave a magic wand and fix it for her like she always does (her unsuitable housing arrangments - see previous post for details). Then she threw a childish tantrum and said 'I'll just need to forget about myself then  :doh: . I told her 'yeah maybe you will as u clearly just want to moan'

Any time things don't go her way it's toys out the pram, and anythjng wrong with her she expects people to fix everything for her instead of her growing up and taking some form of reponsibility for herself and my dad.

I have 3 kids I am home schooling and got medical worries about one of my kids, the last thing I need is that woman child's behaviour. 

notrightinthehead

Tired, please read everything you can find about Medium chill and grey rock.  Next time dear mum calls practise, practise, practise. You will get so much better with time and you will feel so much less upset.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

lindentree

Sound exhausting. :stars:

I am working on medium chill, too. Thanks for the encouragement to look up some stuff and practice!  :)

makingachange

I know, it is exhausting isn't it!?  I am sorry that you are going through this.  <3

I have personally been trying to gray rock, and keep my distance, but I keep hearing the complaining....I have children as well and have been home schooling, so, it really wears me down too!

I hope that gray rocking will help to put some distance there, and keep things at bay.  <3  I hope things improve with this for you...hang in there!!!  =)