When a uNPD is in Long Term Therapy

Started by TriedTooHard, September 29, 2019, 08:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TriedTooHard

Does anyone have any examples of people who are mostly like uNPD, but have been in long term therapy?

I know the common assumption is that NPDs don't like therapy, and I don't challenge that on this forum too often, because I've found it to be true for NPDs I've known. 

However, a T  once told me that she has many clients who are NPD and stay with her.  She didn't go into too much detail for obvious reasons, but long story short, she doesn't come right out and tell them they're narcissists.

I then asked her how her patients would know if she doesn't think they're narcissists!  She reassured me she wouldn't have this conversation with them. 

I'm thinking that with strides in understanding PDs, some therapists have made successful changes in order to address this problem.  I don't think its being underhanded, I think if a T can keep these people coming back in, they're doing society some good.

I'm asking because I recently gave a new acquaintance a 2nd chance because I felt sorry for her and she had been going to therapy for many years.  After she did and said some very narcissistic things, I decided to go with my gut and get away.  Its ironic, I never had to protect myself from having my ignoring NPD FOO come visit me, but it took a lot of effort to stop this woman from coming to visit.