Remission??

Started by HadleyBird, July 21, 2022, 08:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HadleyBird

When can someone with BPD be considered in remission?

If someone is still self harming every few weeks or months, can they be still considered in remission from BPD?

Thank you all!

moglow

I've never heard of remission in reference to personality disorders. I have a somewhat jaded view of this unfortunately, because I've read and heard of too many who simply accepted this or that diagnosis, took meds [or not] and called it a day. "This is just who I am and you have to accept it" instead of looking at and addressing necessary behavior changes. I got the feeling those were in treatment at the insistence of others rather than for their own wellbeing.

I would imagine someone who's in active treatment and learning to undo "stinkin thinkin" would have times when they're more in control than others, probably for longer periods of time than someone who isn't. I believe recovery is possible and it's a process. The patient would have to be committed and dedicated to working through that process. And even then, anyone could have setbacks or times when they're overwhelmed and revert to their [ab]normal.

"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Cat of the Canals

I've also never heard of "remission" with personality disorders, but if there is such a thing, I can't imagine that self-harming wouldn't immediately end "remission" status.