Year of boundaries

Started by Pepin, January 04, 2020, 05:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepin

One of the realizations I have come to recently is that I have amassed a lengthy personal litter trail of discards throughout my life.  I understand that it is natural for people to come and go.  But when I look more closely at those that I have discarded that I had a longish friendship with, it becomes clear that I had bad boundaries. 

This is very hard for me....because obviously upon starting a new friendship, I was excited, felt good and genuinely thought that the other person was someone that would fit nicely into my world.  And then later on, problems would arise and I would feel uncomfortable.

As a result, I've become extremely selective about anyone that I meet now.  I have a few close friends and sometimes I feel like they are even too much for me...thankfully they are part of larger friend groups.  I obviously am not part of a larger friend group.  I have met so many people in my area....and I feel like none of them really are anyone I would like to be friendlier with because we just don't have the same vibe.  I'd either get bored of them or they would get bored with me.

I want to really focus this year on boundaries.  I want to read as much as I can with examples, to really understand.  To date, I am still uncertain about my own personal boundaries....and it has been a challenge to be able to discern between gut feeling and fear.

What are some great books to read?  Online videos...anything.  I just want to drill the concept of boundaries into my head as much as I can to really solidify who I am.  For example, I love guides like Miss Manners or anything that has "rules" because those in a sense, are boundaries that are generally for the "good of all."  It's the gray area that I struggle with because I was raised in a dysfunctional home....and then entered into a dysfunctional in-law scenario.  My in-laws have behaved differently than what I was brought up with, but at the same time, not healthy.  I feel like I spend most of my time removing bad things rather than preventing them in the first place.  I am an introvert but extroverted at the times I need to be.  I tend to mull things over before making an informed decision and I need to be quicker at that, especially around PDs.   

There is much to correct and this is going to be the year to do it with healthy boundaries.

Spring Butterfly

Good for you and here to cheer you on - boundaries is one of my most favorite topics. There's some great resources in the Boundaries sticky on this Working on Us forum. Toward the end I gathered links and info from my research. One thing that helped me was tying boundaries into individuating and also coming up with my core values doing a mind map. They were some fun learning and still serve me today as I develop in my personal and work life.
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage — prep beforehand and make time after to heal
blog for healing

mdana

I have read several books on boundaries -- mostly the one's written by Melody Beattie (although the titles don't say "boundaries"). The underlying issue in her books is co-dependence which results in boundary issues.

Here is a link:

https://melodybeattie.com/books/

Beyond that (a while back) I joined CODA (a community support group --co-dependents anonymous). I had a sponsor at one time and it helped me greatly!  They have meetings in every city, town, etc .... and some are online now I hear.  It's a self-help group comprised of volunteers and willing participants, so there is no "professional" person that leads/guides or oversees the group. They do have guidelines and follow the AA approach.

From what I have learned, the issue of boundaries has several root causes and it involves doing "self" work, that is -- working on your "sense of self", which once strengthened and defined -- leads to better boundaries. 

For me, working on boundary work has led me down a beautiful spiritual journey!!

All the best Pepin!

M
Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive. The Dalai Lama

Associate of Daniel

A book series called "Boundries" by Townsend and Cloud is a good place to start.

All the best with your 2020 quest!

AOD