Advice please

Started by Merrygoround, August 19, 2022, 07:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merrygoround

Good afternoon,
I have been an avid reader of this forum for some years now and it has helped me many times with the insight of the members and their experiences.  I have never posted until now and the reason is this : after almost four years, my parents have tried to open the door on contact and it did not go particularly well.
A little background, I divorced my abusive ex husband after several decades and have aduit chikdren. They wanted to continue a relationship with him, which although difficult for me I was able to accept to some point. However, when I found out the lies they had been telling him and then stories given to myself and their grandchildren, it led to many rows, more lies and throwing various family members under the bus, to me being disinherited and fully no contact (their words not mine) when they were caught out in their manipulations.  It has taken a good few years of healing and a period of being extremely unwell to get where I am today - Out of the FOG. The children and I are closer than ever , but I fear this could destabilize this .
The reason for this post is this : a few weeks ago, it was made known to me that they were clearing out some stuff and would I be interested in some childhood photos and mementos before they got rid of them.  Stupidly , I opened the door on communication, which resulted in a phone call with them - firstly to say that no, I could not take them due to my current living situation, but obviously the conversation continued beyond that.
I had hoped, rather naively, that there would be a wish to make amends, or heaven forbid, apology from them - however I could simply have stepped back in time into one of our rows, where there was continual repetition of old arguments, more manipulations and a twisting of truths.  I understand that one of my parents is now rather unwell, but I am not given details.  It was simply, as I say, stepping back in time.
I honestly don't really know what I had hoped for. I have always had a difficult relationship with my mother - undiagnosed narc, but closer with my father - enabler but with narc tendencies and of course I have always wanted to have a relationship with them to some degree, rather wishing for the parents I never really had.
They have their own individual relationships with their grandchildren, all adults in their own right and I have no problem with that - especially as my children are all aware of their behaviours.
I just don't know where to go from here. I had to leave the conversation as I had an appointment to get to, so we just said good bye - there was no "speak to you soon " or "let's talk again sometime" so I feel a bit left high and dry.
I do know that at some stage they may be visiting the area and may wish to meet up. Or not.
I have done so much healing in the years of no contact, infact I find myself so much stronger so I was able to speak to them with a huge degree of calm and neutrality, even though they were often shouting during the call. I calmly stated the facts and truths again , even when they tried to twist things.
I just don't know where to go from here. I am concerned for my partner who received much verbal abuse during the various falling outs with them. I am concerned they will try and manipulate things again in my relationship with my children and obviously I am concerned as they still contact my abusive ex husband.   And still ...and still....the guilt is returning , their age, their health.  It really doesn't get any better does it?  I have no idea what to do next, but strangely I am calm about it all.  If you kind readers who have made it through reading this have any words of wisdom for me , I would greatly appreciate it.   
Kindest regards.

notrightinthehead

Welcome! First of all, congratulations on your healing and that you managed to stay calm and on track in the conversation.  I hope others will chip in here, but I understand your wish to have some form of contact with your parents. Boundaries! Firm and strong boundaries! You decide what you allow them to do to you, how to treat you, and what to do when they crossed the line.
Don't get involved in meaningful conversations. Don't expect an apology or reconciliation. Employ medium chill and grey rock. Use non JADE. Don't expect them to change or have any insight into the damage they have done to you. It's  possible to safely love difficult people with ironclad boundaries in place.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

Merrygoround

Thank you for your reply, @notrightinthehead - you are absolutely right.  They adore to gather information and gossip, with the conspiratorial phrase "just between you and me ....".  I'm naturally a very open person, so should further communication follow, I shall be heeding your advice on grey rock and medium chill!!
Thanks again x