"Traumatic Narcissism" by Daniel Shaw

Started by Jade63, May 14, 2015, 01:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade63

Has anyone read this book?

I listened to a podcast on Shrink Rap Radio as recommended by a forum poster (thanx, L) in which the host interviewed the author. The show is mainly for professionals in the field of therapy, but the host claimed the book was an easy read.

It was a very good podcast and I highly recommend giving it a listen when you have an hour. It's #451 on Shrink Rap Radio.

~Jade

SaltwareS

Yes this book sounds really interesting, and I like the way the author speaks. Especially since he shares his own background. I've heard a few interviews with him and had not heard this one yet.

SaltwareS

I bought this book and "Traumatic Narcissism" is now in my top two, along with "The Narcissistic Family" by Pressman and Pressman,

I like books that are just very mechanical and dispassionate while also taking the subject very seriously.

Traumatic Narcissism is written for therapists but it lays out the relational "system" dyad of a non and a narcissist. It describes this very technical term called "subjegation". Subjegation is what happens after gaslighting, is the result of gaslighting (the author never uses that term gaslight.)

Understanding subjegation can allow the reader to reverse it and recover his or her own will and his or her own agency (and POV.)