Covert mother?

Started by bookwoman101, June 23, 2019, 07:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bookwoman101

Just found the Out of the FOG site. Trying to figure out if my mother is a covert narcissist. Over the last 18 months, she's done some pretty crappy things against me. The biggest thing yet is, I found her very first boyfriend after 65 years' separation. (My father is deceased.) After I arranged for her to meet him (I was present), she told me point blank, "I want him all to myself." It's been almost 18 months, and neither I (or my 7 siblings) have seen him again. She sees him weekly for lunch. BTW, he has been living with a woman for the past dozen years, common-law type thing. My mother knows I am beyond hurt and pissed that she's doing this, and it changes not one thing. She ignores it like the elephant in the room. I told my mother I had hoped that this man could be a father-type figure or a mentor, as we got along great, and because my own father was alcoholic, emotionally/physically absent, even cruel, much of the time. I shouldn't give a fig, but I am very hurt and angry at my mother's complete disregard, particularly because I've helped her out plenty over the years. If I hadn't found this man, she never would have seen him again. 

Penny Lane

So sorry you're dealing with this. I wish for your sake that you could have the type of relationship you want, with your mother and this guy.

Are there others you can turn to for support? Your family of choice, friends, a counselor? Are there other positive male role models in your life who could serve in the sort of mentor role you're looking for?

Again, so sorry you're going through this. I hope this forum can be a source of support for you.

:bighug:

bookwoman101

Thank you for your kind response.
Most of your suggestions I have in place. I guess it's the fact of it being a mother wound that makes it difficult to forgive.