Anyone else move and "start over" a lot?

Started by Therivercontinueson, May 03, 2024, 01:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Therivercontinueson

I have been moving every few years all my adult life, not even to different houses but altogether different countries. The pattern seems to be: move to country x, have a great time for two years, find a partner and "settle down", relationship goes sour (me picking the wrong partners with whom codependency becomes an issue) after two years and gets terrible and stressful, I have a mental health crisis, I break up with them and realize I have no friends left and "no reason to be here anymore", cue depression and panic, move country again and feel like life starts afresh, repeat cycle. I know this probably has something to do with the fact my PD parents ensured my family was enmeshed and wouldnt let me even consider leaving. Its like I have some sort of deep desire for escape and keep recreating it - even though I've escaped my family already (I have been no-contact for a year now)? On the other hand my career is made for moving and I like living in new places so maybe I am over-pathologizing myself? For example, I like my current city but my relationship is pretty much over, and I'm wondering if I should take a job offer in another country. My current city is a bit small and besides the fact I would be running into them often, I never really made lasting friendships here due to it being a slightly reserved culture, and I feel a bit bored by what the city has to offer. It's like this feeling of moving up and out and once I do it, I tend not to look back. I can't really get my head around always wanting to run away as I am normally a quite sentimental and attached person. Has anyone dealt with this before?

notrightinthehead

I used to be a restless soul too and have moved frequently. There is a buzz when coming to a new place - so much to learn. And then it gets a bit boring. Also, you bring along your old self.

Whatever you decide to do - move, stay - how about you begin to work on yourself? Get to know yourself better? Find out why you end up in relationships that have signs of co-dependency? Why all of a sudden you find yourself without friends? There are many ways you can work on yourself, and it is an exhilarating experience.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.