Fixed Mindset vs. Growth Mindset

Started by HH, August 31, 2019, 12:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HH

I became aware of this in my children's classroom - where the instruction and grading systems are all moving toward enhancing a "growth mindset" vs. a "fixed mindset".  I immediately made the connection between the educational philosophy and my ability to function in a chosen relationship with my DW with PD.  It also informs the way those who have a spouse diagnosed (which leans toward fixed mindset) with PD can reframe that as having a partner with "unique challenges" that they can learn to overcome.  Does this resonate anyone else ? Do you have a personal fixed mindset about your situation ?does PD spouse? Does anyone notice any difference in coping and thriving with PD spouse when they have growth mindset ?  Does anyone have PD spouse with growth mindset about their situation?

Research is by Carol Dweck PhD in her book "Mindset". Also a great article on brainpickings-dot-org concerting fixed vs growth research

1footouttadefog

Not famiar, will look for the article.

It sounds like something that should perhaps be used in part for educational settings but not entirely instead of traditional grading.  I will go learn more.

Poison Ivy

I have the mindset that almost everyone (excluding people with severe brain disorders) can change their behavior.  That includes me.  My ex seemed to be more in the "I was born this way, I'm not gonna change, but it would be okay if you changed for me" mindset.

Scarlet Runner

As an educator, I am very familiar with fixed vs. growth mindset. I have also read the book Mindset by Carol Dweck - which does not exclusively focus on classrooms. It talks about how mindset affects all aspects of our lives - great book.

My ex was very much growth mindset and did/does self reflect. We've both grown a lot. However, I think the problems arose from him being unwilling to seek outside help (therapy either individual or couples) for his self-reflection. So as much as he looked at himself I don't think he always was looking in the right areas. And while he was sometimes open to feedback from me I'd have to wait months for an opportunity to even mention something in a completely downgraded way so as not to trigger his low self esteem.