The Psychologist and her Narcissists by Jenny Tamasi

Started by Daisy112, January 06, 2021, 09:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daisy112

Hello!
I read a lot of books on narcissistic  abuse.  It helps me realize they have the problem not us and it helps me to understand they won't change. Some  books can be dry or overly technical. I found The Psychologist and Her Narcissists by Jenny Tamasi last week and it really hit home. It's a memoir/ self help book written by a psychologist who dated two narcissists in a row. One was overt and the other covert. Her first one reminded me of the Undoing on HBO. What I liked was  it wasn't too long, it had stories and examples that I could relate to, information about red flags and healing activities and reflection points. There was even a place to journal and do the homeworks in the back.  The activities and reflection questions were very helpful. Sometimes when I read books by psychologists about narcissistic abuse they are super technical and dry. This book at times makes you want to cry and also laugh. It was more like going for coffee and  catching up with your friend who is also a psychologist telling you how she survived and teaching you tricks along the way. Reading this book was the perfect combination of facts and information about personality disorders, therapy and healing, and anecdotal information that any survivor can relate too.  Great  and fun read if you are looking for healing. Also makes you realize anyone can fall for these clowns.

Cascade

Sounds like an interesting book, thanks for the suggestion.

SonofThunder

Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

SeaBreeze

Thanks for the rec! I married 2 narcs in a row, one overt, one covert, so suspect I'll find this book relatable.