Triggered by self help books

Started by Stillnothealed, February 03, 2023, 01:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stillnothealed

Has anyone run into this?

Im in the middle of "Out of the FOG" and it's been a great resource so far.... But also it's been hard to get through because I feel so hurt and upset relating to the media.

I feel validated and that makes me feel so happy that it's not just me. On the same note, reliving the experiences the book discusses is overwhelming and painful.

As side from giving myself breaks, does anyone have any suggests for coping through it or have any similar experiences?

NarcKiddo

Yes. I highlight the passages that trigger me or get to me emotionally and then go back when I have finished the book to see what I can learn from the highlighted passages. Also I have a therapist I can talk things through with, which helps.
Don't let the narcs get you down!

notrightinthehead

I take a break from the book when I'm overwhelmed. And come back later, sometimes weeks later, when I feel I can cope again.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

Stillnothealed

Quote from: NarcKiddo on February 03, 2023, 01:54:46 PM
Yes. I highlight the passages that trigger me or get to me emotionally and then go back when I have finished the book to see what I can learn from the highlighted passages. Also I have a therapist I can talk things through with, which helps.

That's really good advice, thank you.

I'm starting to write down the things that bother me and it's a good exercise in putting words to my feelings. I feel more aware and in tune with my emotion vs being pushed around by them lol.

A therapist is a good idea. I've talked to several in the past when I was initially getting out but it maybe good to see someone again to discuss what I'm experiencing now.