Learning the truth- years later

Started by Stepping lightly, September 19, 2022, 08:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stepping lightly

Hi All,

Not a significant post, but one that sort of took me aback.  DH doesn't want to process some of the terrible things that we find out after the fact, so it helps me to just unload them here. 

This weekend, we had some family visiting, and we had a 2 year old in the house.  This came with all of the regular child safety precautions, and his parents were awesome with being prepared.  One of the items was a door knob cover to keep little hands from being able to open doors to go outside or into rooms we needed to keep closed off.  DSD17 was talking to one of the parents and said "Oh, I remember those covers, we used to have them on the inside of our bedroom doors so when we got in trouble and sent to our rooms, we couldn't get out."  My brain snapped to attention as I completed a years old puzzle.  DH had been accused of "locking the kids in their rooms" when they were little and a HUGE deal was made out of it.  Now, baby gates were used to keep them from roaming, but their actually doors were NEVER locked in on them.  We figured the baby gates were the source of all of the fuss, but didn't understand why that would be an issue.  Projection is such a dirty thing!  That's what it was all along- SHE was locking them in their rooms...and the idea that DSD thought that was so normal...is really sad.   I assume we'll have a lifetime of these revelations  :(

Penny Lane

EVERY TIME they accuse you of something, they're doing it.

I hate when the reality is actually worse than what you imagined, because that lets your imagination run even more wild the next time.

Your poor stepkids! I just want to give them a hug and the fact they don't understand that it's bad...