Hello! Newbie here

Started by MomInTheHouse, June 26, 2023, 12:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MomInTheHouse

Hi!
Ughhhhh. I'm not even sure where to begin and I'm not sure I can do this post without crying some more. My 13 year old high trauma due to sexual abuse and other things, learning disabled (this is the term we use. No offense intended) Has been hospitalized 3 times (including now) for self harm and suicidal idealization. She has BPD although we are now calling it Emotional Intensity Disorder. She has broken so many relationships. She is very smart but school is a nightmare. She just started STEPPS and it is so hard for her and for me! I hope I have found the right place so that I don't feel so alone.

Starboard Song

I think you may be in the right place.

This community is so good at providing peer support to those struggling to manage or to heal from their interactions with a PD person. That person is very often a parent or spouse, but can be a neighbor, co-worker, or even one's own child.

If you haven't, go check out our Toolbox for a lot of good background information. If the What To Do page seems to resonate, you are in the right place. Read over our Guidelines before diving in.

Young folks with BPD are challenging, because a teenager is already volatile and learning to control and accept emotions. Be aware that this is among the most sensitive, challenging areas. But you are showing up for the challenge, and you are trying to learn from others, so you are doing a lot right.

Welcome to Out of the FOG. We hope to see you on the boards. One is dedicated specifically to parents of potentially PD kids.
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward