Pushiest GIFT stories

Started by sunshine702, March 05, 2024, 10:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshine702

So my partner recently brought up my reaction to a "gift" my Narc Mom and Control Father "gave " me. 

The asking for a gift BACK thread got a lot of great validating stories.  Let's do it in reverse. What sort of gift was FORCED on you?  After politely saying No thank you.

Personality Disorders and Gifts.
I know Dr Ramani talks a lot about this.

Here is mine.  So I had a Broken car key - where the metal and the plastic cracked.  Hot and cold it happens.  I had it glued back together but it slipped out in front of my father during a trip. He insisted on getting me another one.  I told him I would.  I was working on it.

So when he got home to another state he called around to dealers who would rekey my car WITHOUT my key and he paid for it and it was sent to me. 

I said no.  No thank you.  It was completely IGNORED.  It did work out as far as the keys went but was a real low point for my relationship with them.  It was a MAJOR boundary violation.  It basically was "you can not be trusted to handle things in your life" to me.

It wasn't NICE like my partner thinks it was awful!

Anyone got similar?

Rose1

You WILL have this pot plant and you WILL have these old curtains and there will be a lot of put downs and guilt trips if you don't.
Damn pot plant died. Apparently they need water

Call Me Cordelia

We got a crap ton of my in-laws' old furniture dumped on us when we were first married. DH's new job paid for movers. He had a small amount of things in his parents' house, he thought if they're paying great his parents could set it aside for the movers. They completely took the opportunity to make their junk our junk. Notably a heavy 30-year-old rock-hard sleeper sofa.

moglow

Mine is a personal haha:
When we were growing up we had a little lift top wooden desk in our den. We/kids weren't allowed it use it "because we'd ruin it." (Never mind that I never saw her using it either) I always liked and wanted it "some day" because it reminded me of my favorite time, before Daddy left. But I never said anything, figured she'd get rid of it if she knew I really wanted it.

Several years ago md was moving into a smaller place and she decided to foist it off on me with the admonition that I couldn't use it. I could just keep it for a while until she has a place for it. My brother knew my feelings and brought it to me - large spot of water damage on top where a plant had sat too long with nothing under it to protect the wood.

I rehabbed the desk and now you'd never know anything happened to it. I named it the Fuck You desk because fuck you md it's MY desk now and I DO use it regularly!! 😁

"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Sneezy

Oh my gosh, too many unwanted gifts to list them all here.  A few of the worst - an ancient sewing machine (I don't sew), a broken cookie jar that belonged to some great-grandmother, and a framed pencil.  That one is still a mystery to me.  Dramatic Auntie found some pencils that a relative used to give out with his butcher shop name imprinted on them.  Ok, a pencil from Papa's butcher shop would be cool to have, sure.  But Dramatic Auntie paid a good amount of money to have each pencil individually framed in large, custom shadow boxes.  When presented with a custom-framed pencil, I was expected to ooh and aahh over it and then display it smack dab in the middle of my mantel forever, like it was the holy grail.  A pencil!  A freaking framed pencil! 

I never actually said no to any of these unwanted gifts.  They have just happened to "disappear" over the years.

frogjumpsout

I got maternity clothes after having said I wasn't planning on having children.  :stars:
No star is ever lost we once have seen,
We always may be what we might have been.

-- Adelaide Anne Procter, "The Ghost in the Picture Room"