Took a step towards something big today

Started by Sojourner17, March 05, 2019, 09:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sojourner17

So last night my DH told me about someone he met at work that had a prosthetic ear made. He said he could barely tell that it was not real.
I have suffered with low self esteem, shame, over a congenital birth defect all of my life and have thought of having something done off and on for decades.
The year before we had DS2 I had reconstructive surgery on my jaw and a jaw joint put in. It created more facial symmetry and while I sometimes thing what the heck did I do?!? It did help boost confidence a bit... yay! I have a chin and profile!!!!
Anyways, I went online and have made an inquiry with a prosthetic clinic close by to get more information about possibly getting a prosthetic ear. I looked at some before and after pics, including a lady who seems to have a very similar deformity to mine and it brought tears. She, as well as the others looked like completely new people, looked more confident.
Anyways, it's a small step but somewhat significant.
"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it..." - Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

notrightinthehead

Sounds marvellous! As the commercial says: You deserve it.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

Whiteheron

You can't destroy me if I don't care.

Being able to survive it doesn't mean it was ever ok.

looloo

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."  Oscar Wilde.

"My actions are my true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand."  Thich Nhat Hanh

GentleSoul

Awesome.  How wonderful, you deserve this.

Hattie

Good for you. If it will boost your coincidence, then why not?

A friend of mine is in the process of getting Out of the FOG after a 30 year abusive marriage. She has a facial disfigurement which has probably contributed to her lack of confidence. She has had a lot of support from a charity called "Changing faces" which do counselling /advocacy etc for people with unusual appearances. We are in the UK but maybe there is sonething similar where you are.
Love is patient; love is kind.
It does not envy; it does not boast.
It is not proud. It does not dishonour others.
It is not self-seeking. It is not easily angered.
It keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

1 Corinthians 13: 5-8.

Sojourner17

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement!

Hattie, I will look up Changing Faces and see if they have anything here in Canada.  We live in a much densely populated province now so perhaps they have something similar.  I really want to work on my confidence again. Since this all started with my uNpdm it's suffered that's for sure.
I haven't heard anything back yet from the local clinic but I'm sure I will soon.
"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it..." - Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery