DS shared some memories

Started by Sojourner17, March 12, 2019, 11:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sojourner17

So tonight at bedtime my middle DS was very upset (DH wouldn't let him wear his new shoes to bed...there's 2for ya!) and was crying/sobbing. I was with our older DS. My older son started telling me about him crying like that at my parents house. He told me three separate incidents. 1 being from when he was almost 3. He was upset bc he didn't want to go outside with my dad bc he was being made to do hard work (dad was constructing a shed).  I asked him what I did. He said I made us ice cream cones and went outside with him. 
Another one he told me about was that he was really upset and grandpa wouldn't let him come to me. I asked him what I did. He said I came downstairs and told him to come with me.
The third was from the last time we were at my parents house. I got really sick with the flu and was pregnant. Dad drove me in to the ER and my two DS had to stay behind. He seemed to understand why I couldn't stay with him that time.
I'm sad that these are the memories our eldest has of being at my parents home but I'm really glad his memory is of me helping him, giving him comfort and putting him at ease.  Knowing I did that for him helps put this mamas heart at ease as so often I feel anxiety or like I'm going to screw our kids up because of my own issues in dealing with my parents.
"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it..." - Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

bloomie

Sojourner17 - How wise to process these important experiences with your son and gently point him to the way they concluded... with you seeing his need, responding in love, and staying with him and keeping him safe. That is healthy, productive, affirming parenting! :applause:
The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.