Credit Card Debt and Separation

Started by apparentlyImgiftd, May 09, 2022, 02:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apparentlyImgiftd

Can someone please answer this? CC that are in the spouse name as primary and I am simply authorized to have my own card.  Am I responsible for the balance too? Is there any way to take me off the debt?

Poison Ivy

This can be a tricky area legally. In at least some U.S. states, one spouse's credit card debt is the responsibility of both spouses, even if only one spouse has the credit card. You might want to do some research to find out the legal obligations around marital debt in your state.

Associate of Daniel

It possibly differs from country to country.

I was a secondary card holder of my UNPD exH's credit card.

I took my name off the account and stopped using the card a year or so (?) before he left.

I was never chased for any of his debt.

I suggest you do the same as me and set up your own account, if you wish to continue using a credit card.

I don't have one and use cash and debt card only.  I've been traumatised by my UNPD exH's use of his credit card and never want to have one of my own.

AOD

Kat54

What Associate of Daniel said. I was an add on to my ex's credit cards. I realized I didn't have any of my own so I opened 2 cards right away.
But that debt he had from credit cards never came back to me. The only joint debt we had was our mortgage and home equity like of credit. It varies from state to state in the US.