Histrionic mom acquaintance labeling my child

Started by Solong, August 14, 2019, 01:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solong

There's an acquaintance in my neighborhood who I met a few years back and right away distanced bc I get PD vibes. She's very emotional, very dramatic and every conversation turns into her emotional rant/whine about something she can't control.

We have daughters the same age. We frequent the same places often and it's unavoidable.

Her daughter is so sweet but very vibrant and intense and overwhelms my 4 yo daughter. This mom has started referring to my daughter as "mean" bc she doesn't want to play with her daughter. DDs behavior is well within the realm of normal for her age and one that we're actively working on. (I'm an educator, super intuitive and value kindness. I'm on it and DD is working hard to learn all the ways of the world. And, really calling a 4 year old mean?) The mother also doesn't seem to be getting the hint that her daughter could back off a bit (she's in my daughters face right away incessantly every time we see them). Like, there's a lot of gray here but that's not being accounted for.

Knowing she's got PD tendencies, what's the most diplomatic way to handle this? I can see this going toward smear campaign (about my daughter!!) if it's mishandled. I also run a business in town and do not need any untrue rumors being started about my family, so I've got dual motivation here.
You do know.

SerenityCat

You may not be able to stop untrue rumors being spread. But you could make sure to not add any fuel to the flames.

Maybe there is a way for you to become boring to this person. You could also apply Medium Chill when useful https://outofthefog.website/what-to-do-2/2015/12/3/medium-chill

You can continue to keep your distance. If cornered, be light and breezy and make an excuse to get away.

Is there any way you can keep your daughter away from her daughter? Maybe at least for a week or so?

Solong

Yes. Yes. Helpful reminder that Medium Chill is needed here. Thank you.

You do know.