Memory issues

Started by Whiteheron, February 13, 2019, 07:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiteheron

Is anyone else having memory issues? I fell like since I left my memory is gone. *poof!* I used to remember everything. I mean everything. Probably because I was in a state of constant hyper vigilance. But now? I can't remember what the kids told me 5 minutes ago. It's driving me up the wall! I hope it's part of recovering and coming Out of the FOG...and not a chronic issue that I'll have to manage on top of everything else.

:unsure:
You can't destroy me if I don't care.

Being able to survive it doesn't mean it was ever ok.

Spygirl

I feel you,

I have been this way for a year. I have noticed that since my contact with stbxh has dropped way off, i am doing better. It is its worst the day before, of, and a day or two after i see him. Then i get much clearer.

I chalk it up to stress, and maybe some cognitive dissonance. I have that pretty bad sometimes. I think my brain is trying to find new ways to process, and the way it used to do things to protect me. it does not work so well now.

It has caused problems at work. At least its getting better. I dont know how people serve in wars and function well afterwards. Perhaps they have a different "compartmentalizing" ability.

Associate of Daniel

I think I had memory issues for a while after uNPD exH left. I honestly can't remember - and I'm not saying that as a joke!

It was the stress and grief and lack of sleep that did it.  Thankfully, all of that has improved hugely over time.

I've had a general anaesthetic a few times and each time, my memory has been apalling for about 6 months afterwards. 

The effects of my pds on my memory from time to time is very similar to that of the GAs.

AOD

1footouttadefog

Lack of sleep or not getting  good sleep are usually involved when I  extra forgetful.

I find that tuning out extra sources of stress and information for a time helps.

For example I will every so often take a vacation from forums, news, and radio with commercials and such.  This break from messages and info about negative topics and ads that are designed to make you feel negative helps me take my brain back.

I also find, and this was very counter intuitive to me, that indulging in a good novel, or TV show or movie will help rest my mind.

It's cou ter I tuition for me because a big part of me says I need to spend the time working, cleaning , organizing etc.

However the improved efficiency more than compensates for the time invested in mental rest.

Hattie

Didn't notice much effect on my memory, but my ability to concentrate was terrible for about a year after the split.  My meditation teacher said it was probably my brain reorienting to the loss, which made sense to me. My focus suddenly returned about a month ago. I put that down to two things : 1) I had a lot of time off work in Nov/Dec, which I think helped me process things. 2) I'm in a new relationship which I feel secure in. So maybe your memory issue is something that will pass in a few months' time....
Love is patient; love is kind.
It does not envy; it does not boast.
It is not proud. It does not dishonour others.
It is not self-seeking. It is not easily angered.
It keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

1 Corinthians 13: 5-8.

newlife33

I don't know how old I am or what happened yesterday or when I graduated or what colors I liked or anything.  My mind right now is a muddled stew.

athene1399

My memory is sometimes not the best. My SO says it's due to stress, but I don't feel stressed. But maybe because I repress my emotions and disconnect from them I am stressed but don't realize it. I remember having conversations, but can't remember who I was talking to so sometimes tell the same thing to someone that we already talked about. Sometimes I totally blank on words and can't think of what I wanted to say. That gets frustrating. I try to think of words that remind me of what I want to say. That usually works, but takes a bit.

openskyblue

Stress, depression, and dissociation ruined my memory for years. And hypervigilance, while useful, can really take it out of you. What worked for me was giving myself and blanket senior moment pass. I decided I needed to give my poor brain and heart a break. They'd served me well, and now they were just worn the heck out.  It just seemed like one more demand I was putting on myself, to be "one" cognitively at peak level and be able to recall ably.

Gradually, I'm better and losing track of things. But some days, my brain and memory still need a vacation day.