Workplace woes

Started by Amadahy, September 24, 2019, 01:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amadahy

Hi, y'all!

I am sometimes bowled over to think that yet another life area has lessons to teach in regard to PDs. (Not that PDs are everywhere, but I'm just able to recognize patterns that, sadly, resonate.) This is about my workplace.

I work for a nonprofit, so lots of high ideals and big hearted endeavors there. However, the overall culture of the management team is very unhealthy, perhaps toxic.

For example, yesterday at 105, my supervisor called to inform  I was supposed to be on a interview team for an interview that began at 100. I was out of town, with caseload visits planned, but I told my boss I'd come if she preferred. No one had told me about this expectation.

She said I could come for the next round of interviews later that day. Fine. Later that day she told me to go to a certain location and I waited (whilst working on stuff) for 2 hours! I'm not quite sure what happened. The reason I waited so long is because interviews involve many steps. I finally texted to see if I should wait. She said not necessary and thanks. Weird.

So, this morning, I was still kind of like "huh?" about the whole thing. I'm sure it was just poor communication, assumptions, etc., but I had a morning meeting with colleagues, one of whom I have good reason not to trust and all day long I have been really off my game. I'm scattered, anxious, etc and as I took the time to lunch in a peaceful park, it came to me....

The organization itself is a gaslighting, unhealthy place. I'm never quite sure where I stand with colleagues, do not trust my memories or recollections of conversations, and do not pick up on the games, innuendos, etc. others are able to understand. I acknowledge and embrace that I am probably on the autism spectrum, so that contributes to my dis-ease, of course. But, somehow, it helps to know that my loss of equilibrium has a source that is not just all me.

I am actively looking for another job. ❤️
Ring the bells that still can ring;
Forget your perfect offering.
There's a crack in everything ~~
That's how the Light gets in!

~~ Leonard Cohen

Starboard Song

Quote from: Amadahy on September 24, 2019, 01:07:18 PM
I'm sure it was just poor communication, assumptions, etc.

The organization itself is a gaslighting, unhealthy place.

I am actively looking for another job. ❤️

It is very unpleasant to be in an environment where trust is unwarranted. It sounds like you were right about yesterday: that it was just poor communications. I hope everyone treated the matter with the same courtesy as your supervisor. It sounds like other situations are less innocent, so it may be best to try to move on.

Good luck.
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward