Social Media and NPD Parents

Started by AnonymousHippopotamus, March 18, 2020, 04:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnonymousHippopotamus

As i write this message, my phone is pinging..... ping, ping, ping. It's my NPD mum sending me message after message on instagram direct message. She's already sent me a long message via text msg earlier today, to which i replied with a greyrock response back. The reason she's switched to my instagram account is because i went on there for less than 3 minutes for a quick scoll, she's noticed me 'being online' and gone in for the kill.

Does anyone else feel like their PD parents are watching their every move online?
This online world we've gained has given NPD parents an easy way to gain survailence on their Adult children, to know their every step. PD parents nowadays feel so entitled to our privacy because it's become social 'norm' - When did it become normal? and When did parents think it be ok to blow up their adult kid's social media account, further isolating them from the people they actually want to connect with?

I'm infuriated, I'm 30 years old, and I feel smothered. I can't touch social media without my mum calling me the minute she see's me on there somehow. I already deleted my facebook account over a year ago, which to be honest, has been the greatest blessing. I've tried to tick all the boxes that hide my visibility, my whatsapp is hidden, but instagram still lets peolpe on direct message know when they're online - thanks instagram! Any advice or any others frustrated by this too? I'm pretty much ready to hit the delete button on my instagram account even though i like getting inspired by painters when i need a boost of creativity. But if it means less hastle with NPD mother... i can't block her because she'll blow up my phone with F.O.G.

Spring Butterfly

Yes it's crazy on a whole different level these days. Stalking was something I had to deal with but not so much online as in person. In sorry you're dealing with this and I always find reviewing the Trait do and don't recommendations helpful.

Instagram had the option to set an account restricted meaning you put the person in restricted mode, they don't know it, but it sets limits including not seeing when you're online.
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage — prep beforehand and make time after to heal
blog for healing

Andeza

Best advice? Create an online alter ego, different email, made up name, the works... And then use that to browse Instagram, pinterest, YouTube, etc. Never invite/friend your mom on the new account, and let your current one just fade, unused or hardly touched. Then when she bugs you as to why you're never online, say you got bored with it and picked up reading or something not online instead. She'll think she's won, but really, you have.

The alternative is to block her, FOG be darned and all that jazz. Or ignore the crazy altogether.

But don't let her steal the things you enjoy. Don't let her take away your hobbies or passions by being intrusive.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.