A unsteady hello...

Started by scared_dad_E9, February 17, 2024, 01:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scared_dad_E9

Hi...I've seen this website in the past, a therapist recommended it to me when I discussed my upbringing (my mom has a PD) and recently I've filed for divorce.  I was originally looking at Out of the FOG as a way to open discussions with my own therapist for myself, however, recognize many aspects of my wife's behavior as her own undiagnosed PD. Given I'm beyond middle age, my son is recovering from a suicide attempt, an upcoming major career change as well as this new divorce I'd thought I'd reach out via the message boards.  Thanks for hosting this, and I'm cautiously optimistic that the conversations here are beneficial. 

notrightinthehead

Welcome! This site certainly has been beneficial for me. I am also in the process of divorce and struggling.
Check out the Toolbox as a start. And the separating/divorcing board.
See you around on the boards!
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

SonofThunder

Hi scared dad,

Im very sorry to read of the troubles you face at this time and the parental suffering in heartbreak of a suicide attempt of your son.  I will lift up your son in prayer.

I want to add another warm welcome to Out of the FOG. You have come to a place full of great people from all over the world who have experiences in so very many situations.  We at Out of the FOG all walk these trails together. You are not alone.

I will recommend Dr Ramani's YouTube channel to you (always in private from the PD's awareness). I will put a link at the bottom of my reply to one of Dr Ramani's video series that will align well with the terminology we throw around at Out of the FOG. The terms/traits can be found up in the toolbox tab and also the personality disorders tab.   

As a spouse of a PD, I highly recommend you privately read 'Stop Caretaking the Borderline and Narcissist' by Fjelstad. 

See you around the boards,

SoT

Dr. Ramani: Glossary of Narcissistic Relationships
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3QtnfcMTMhEfRXN-Kk2vndn89nBZxKUj
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

Associate of Daniel

Welcome, Scared Dad.

I'm so sorry for all of your troubles and will also be praying for you and your son. I must say that I am surprised that you have a therapist who has experience with PDs, let alone knows about Out of the FOG.  That fact has given me an idea for another thread.

I must say that this forum was the most important and best help for me regarding my uNPD exH and his uNPD wife, and navigating their behaviours around the needs of my son (and myself).  So, do stick around.  Even if you don't post much, you'll probably find that just reading through older threads can be so helpful.

I look forward to reading more of your journey, if you are comfortable to share.

AOD