Covert Narcissist Mother

Started by Scoutnefer, March 09, 2024, 01:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scoutnefer

Hi I'm Jamie
I'm 23, and the son of a covert narcissist mother. I'm trying to process this and unlearn the toxic/negative thought patterns that she conditioned into me through her abuse, as well as connect with other people sons/daughters of covert narcissistic mothers. Their abuse is very subtle and confusing. I didn't realize that my mother was very abusive both physically and verbally abusive until quite recently. Mine raised me to be egotistical while at the same time having awful self esteem and I'm trying to unlearn both of those things.

I'm not better than anyone, and at the same time I same capable and I do have strengths I hope to utilize so I can one day stand on my own.

SonofThunder

A hearty welcome to you Scoutnefer!  A joy to have you join us here at Out of the FOG!  Sorry to read you have been suffering with a PD parent, but I must commend you on your heightened awareness, education, mindfulness and willingness to dive deep into your own situation at the young age of 23!

I am always impressed (and a bit jealous) when the younger generation displays such insight and wisdom.  Well done! You are younger than my children!  I only became aware of personality disorders about 10 years ago when I was in my upper 40's.  I grew up with a NPDfather and flying-monkey mother, and then have been married to a PDwife for many decades, now my stbx.

Like you, I have experience with a parent who is a PD.  My NPDfather is in his eighties now and the narcissistic traits are just as strong as ever, even though he is a bit feeble.  His tongue muscle has not aged at all, and his crafty brain that works in tandem with that tongue, is just as effective even as an old man.

Again, a warm welcome here to Out of the FOG, and I look forward to chats around the campfire boards of the forum.  Pull up a chair and make yourself at home!

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.