Self-sabotage

Started by Amadahy, June 24, 2019, 08:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amadahy

Any resources out there that you've found helpful? I struggle SO much and run at the first signs of success. Thanks! ❤️
Ring the bells that still can ring;
Forget your perfect offering.
There's a crack in everything ~~
That's how the Light gets in!

~~ Leonard Cohen

notrightinthehead

I have found guided meditations to be helpful.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

athene1399

That is such a good question, Amadahy. I think for me it was learning self-compassion and self-confidence. It was instilled in me that I wasn't capable, so by learning that I actually am capable has helped me when I reach that point where I start to freak out and self-sabotage may be around the corner. If that makes sense. I still do sometimes feel like that, like i get the "OMG I can't do this". Then I just take a breather and a step back (maybe like mindfulness) to keep myself present. But I think I used to self-sabotage because of anxiety or fear of failure. Unless it's in regards to relationships. Then I self-sabotage because I have trust issues. But that's a whole different story.

GentleSoul

I think the biggest help to me has been to learn to pause.  Pause and think it through before rushing in.  My self sabotage was done automatically.  Impulsively.  Based on old habits and thought patterns.

So by pausing, I have been able to virtually stop all of it. 

TriedTooHard

By self sabotage, do you mean forgoing opportunities, good relationships, etc.?  Making decisions that aren't good for you?  If so....

After checking with a therapist to make sure I didn't need more intense help, I found an on-line cognitive behavioral therapy course that was the right pace for me.  It was about 6 years ago, so I'm not sure if the link works anymore, but there are a lot of them out there.  I know of people with a lot of different diagnoses that CBT helped, but depending on the diagnosis, there is a large variety of treatment plans.  I have anxiety and depression issues that can be treated without medication, so the therapist thought the online course was appropriate for me.