new relationship with a full pack of PD inlaws

Started by ShyTurtle, December 31, 2020, 09:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShyTurtle

I'm a little nervous about this. I'm thinking that these inlaws are going to demand that I bring all of my best skills for dealing with pd people to the table!

On one hand, I've got a lot of practice from my own family and my own relationships, but on the other, I am always hoping to eventually be free of toxic people. Maybe when they all die off? For now, I am coming around to the fact that there will always be pd people in my life, and there will always be challenging relationships.
🐝➕

Hilltop

How is your partner in dealing with them?  If your partner stands up for you it takes a lot of the strain off of things and could make a huge difference.

BettyGray

ShyTurtle,

Love the name.  :thumbup:

Quote from: ShyTurtle on December 31, 2020, 09:39:27 AMOn one hand, I've got a lot of practice from my own family and my own relationships, but on the other, I am always hoping to eventually be free of toxic people. Maybe when they all die off? For now, I am coming around to the fact that there will always be pd people in my life, and there will always be challenging relationships.

Yes, there will always be challenging relationships. We tend to subconsciously attract them.  The only thing that changes is our awareness of similar traits in these energy vampires and how we deal with them. Once you become adept at seeing the red flags? It becomes almost comical watching them put on their passion plays. If it weren't so damaging and horrible, that is.

Once the jig is up and they realize you are onto them, they get really uncomfortable around us. Not sure how long you have been married, but it sounds like you have a balanced head on your shoulders, even if they don't.

ShyTurtle

Quote from: Hilltop on January 01, 2021, 04:57:09 AM
How is your partner in dealing with them?  If your partner stands up for you it takes a lot of the strain off of things and could make a huge difference.

Fortunately, he really seems to have a good grasp on what he is dealing with, and how to deal with it. I know he will stand up for me and I am able to dodge their bullets and keep my cool.
🐝➕