Hi! Autistic female struggling with PD parts of family

Started by TrashieSellassie, May 01, 2019, 04:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrashieSellassie

Hi everyone. A lot of people in my family are 'unusual' shall we say, but not all of them cross the line really badly.

I am pretty sure that my sister and her partner have some kind of narcissism/ASPD/sociopathy/whatever you want to call it thing going on. I am going to post about something that bothered me recently (in the PD siblings forum) in relation to her actually - hope I am doing things the correct way on here! My dad might be covert narcissist but I don't know for sure.

I was recently diagnosed as autistic so I think this adds an extra layer to my confusion. But anyway, hello everyone!  :woot:

Penny Lane

Hi TrashieSellassie and welcome! And no worries, as far as I see you are doing everything the correct way so far!

It looks like you've already found the PD siblings board - that's great.

If you haven't you could check out the toolbox. It has a lot of good strategies for interacting with people with PDs: https://outofthefog.website/toolbox-intro/

I hope this board can help give you some insight into your family dynamics. And I hope your recent diagnosis might be helpful to you in navigating it as well.

I look forward to hearing more of your story around the boards.

TrashieSellassie

Thank you Penny Lane, I will take a look at that link too.

Starboard Song

Adding my welcome.

Because you see a good deal of dysfunction in your family, really do take the take in the Toolbox, because so much of it is not at all about diagnosis, but about what to do to make things better, and what not to do because it is likely to make things worse.

Please remember: job number 1 is making your world the best it can be, so you and those you love can thrive. And know that this community can help.

I am glad you found us.
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward

TrashieSellassie

Hi Starboard Song - from your profile pic do you like to play guitar? I have played guitar for years.

I have heard of Grey Rock and No Contact before but I am reading some of the other techniques now.
Is there a list somewhere of what all the abbreviations on the forum mean? I have worked some out but others I am stuck on.

Glad to have found this too. Thank you :)

Penny Lane

There sure is! It can be daunting, can't it, to see all these jumbled letters? Check out the Glossary and here's a list of all the acronyms.

TrashieSellassie

Definitely! Thank you for helping me out there Penny Lane, much clearer now :D

Starboard Song

Quote from: TrashieSellassie on May 01, 2019, 07:35:42 PM
Hi Starboard Song - from your profile pic do you like to play guitar? I have played guitar for years.

Every day. My fingers hurt and my heart shrinks a little when I can't play my little songs.

I hope music can be for you a solid place from which to start each day.
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward

TrashieSellassie

Quote from: Starboard Song on May 02, 2019, 06:56:37 AM
Quote from: TrashieSellassie on May 01, 2019, 07:35:42 PM

Every day. My fingers hurt and my heart shrinks a little when I can't play my little songs.

I hope music can be for you a solid place from which to start each day.

Such a lovely way to express feelings safely, isn't it?