"Dear Mr. You" - Mary-Louise Parker

Started by Scout, May 12, 2016, 06:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout

I just got hold of "Dear Mr. You" (by actress Mary-Louise Parker of Weeds and Fried Green Tomatoes) from the local library.  It's a series of letters addressed to men fictional and real, and while I've only peeked into it here and there, I was able to relate to the chapter "Dear Cerberus", where she compares the three worst relationships of her life to the mythical three-headed dog guarding the mouth of Hell.  It's poetic, slightly funny, and just as unsettling.  I think I found it nice to be reminded that even a respected actress (apparently she has an Emmy, a Golden Globe AND a Tony) can find herself in a scary spot and lose her way; that these are universal problems, and they do not define us.

The book is otherwise mostly lighthearted and lightweight, and if you were driven crazy by her Nancy Botwin character you might wish to avoid it, because it's hard to separate her from the compelling but flaky character.  :)

Anyway--the chapter in question would make a quick read (5 minutes) in a bookstore, or be at least worth borrowing from the library or a friend.

tommom

Thank you Scout for saying "They do not define us." You are so right. Reminds me of my grandmother who used to say, "When someone is mean to you it doesn't say anything about you. It does, though, speak volumes about them."

"It is not my job to fix other people; everyone is on their own journey."