"Evil Genes" by Barbara Oakley

Started by ladyscorpia, September 09, 2016, 04:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladyscorpia

Evil Genes: Why Rome Fell, Hitler Rose, Enron Failed, and My Sister Stole My Mother's Boyfriend by Barbara Oakley is a great book about BPD and other Cluster B disorders that I can't recommend enough.  Based more on a cut and dry view of the genetic implications and brain imaging of people with personality disorders, this is a great book for anyone who wants to understand how and why their BPD or other Cluster B person acts the way they act.  This book does not go out of its way to overly demonize people with personality disorders, but it is not a book on how to help the person in your life with a PD or how to properly communicate with a PD.  It is full of very well researched stories of Machiavellian type dictators who show signs of personality disorders and some odd, shocking, and sometimes funny anecdotes about growing up with a BPD older sister and the damage her sister did to her own life and the lives of those around her.  Reading this helped me to understand fully how my BPD ex boyfriend thought and that he truly couldn't help it, but that didn't mean that I needed to subject myself to his abuse. 

all4peace

It sounds interesting--it's on my hold list.