Hello, my overly protective, dependant, radical mother is ruining my life

Started by Jumph, March 11, 2024, 02:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumph

Hello everyone, my name is Jumph, I'm in my late 20s and I found this community after posting on a subreddit about my personal situation with my mother. Another user replied and linked me to the website.

I'm trying to find a supportive community as I try to build the courage to stand up for myself to my abusive oppressive overly religious and highly dependent mother. I hope this is going to be a place for me to find like-minded people who can help me through these times, and hopefully, I can give some back as well.

Thanks once again (Writing this right after booking another counselling session with my therapist 🥲)

Starboard Song

Welcome to the Out of the FOG!

Run, do not walk, to our Toolbox. It has sections that describe what we do best here: addressing the peculiar trauma of interacting with a person who has a personality disorder. You are not alone.

Read about the major PD types. Some may seem very familiar.

If, in the end, you determine that you are in a toxic situation that isn't quite a PD, that doesn't mean you can't benefit from the stories here on our boards, or the tactics in the toolbox. The toolbox, and our Recommended Reading pages are really a master class in interpersonal skills.

You are not alone. And you may find you are in exactly the right place.

Either way: welcome. We are sorry you need us, but glad you found us.
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward

Generic_Username

Hi Jumph!

I've only just joined as well, but have been working on my relationship with my own uNPD-mother for a few years. I don't know about you, but I think I gaslit myself a lot because of how overly-protective she was of me - that didn't sound abusive, but it's only been recently that I've realised it hasn't come from a place of love, but control.

I'm glad you've found this community and I hope you find the strength and self-confidence you need.