"The Almost Moon" by Alice Sebold

Started by ew64, May 01, 2013, 05:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ew64

Fiction with lots of triggers for those of us with NM's, especially the waif type. The protagonist daughter states in the first sentence, "When all is said and done, killing my mother came easy."

There are lines throughout the novel that drop on you like a brick wall coming down from no where. Well worth the read/pain if you can do it.

Cricket

Wow, killing your mother seems extreme to me, but I can understand if the abuse was high.

Moonmaiden

I tried reading this book... But my father was in the advance stages of Alzheimer's and it hit too close to home. Now I have just discovered my mom is BPD, and I never thought of this story in terms of that type of mother/daughter relationship. Makes sense. I will try it again! Thanks for posting.

ew64

Hi MM
I read the mother as NPD, but then mine is, so I may have been seeing what I wanted. Either way, good read.
Meant to say, I re-read it a couple of weeks a go.

musiclover

Thanks for the tip, I am always looking for books to read. Have a NM myself, so maybe we tend to see what we are familiar with. Along the lines of the old saying that a carpenter sees nails.