"Diary of a Stage Mother's Daughter" by Melissa Francis

Started by daughter, January 16, 2014, 04:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daughter

I'm reading Melissa Francis' book "Diary of a Stage Mother's Daughter",  her memoir about growing up with a malevolent mother, with whom she's been estranged for several years, but not before her older sister died.  Francis was a child-actor, now a CNBC anchor-journalist.  Her mother's still alive at time of publication, but not in contact w/Francis - having vanished, apparently, after Francis' ultimatum several years ago. It's interesting that Francis wrote this tell-all book, without fear of reprecussions from her mother, or of embarassment for exposing family problems.  Francis' unfortunate experiences with her malevolent mother mirror many of my own.  Anyone else read this book?

closure_with_clarity

I'm intrigued and didn't know it was released. Thanks for bringing it up daughter, for I'm going to buy it too.

Kudos to her for not being scared about waiting until Nm dies to tell her story and release herself of the gross family secrets

VividImagination

There are three solutions to every problem: accept it, change it, or leave it. If you cannot accept it, change it. I f you cannot change it, leave it.

Sometimes you're damned if you don't and damned if you do, so damn well do what's best for you.

Lmm35

I read it and thought it was fantastic.  Many of her experiences reminded me of my mom too, especially how when confronted she always started saying "after all I've done for you, you selfish brat, all the hours I spent driving you.....etc."  My mom always pulled that shit. 

MaryGrace

I just finished reading this book after I saw an interview with Melissa Francis. It is an excellent book. Very validating but sad. Her sister died after the estrangement from their mother. In the the interview she mentioned her mom showed up after the book came out her mother showed up at a book signing and accosted her. She is permanently NC with her mother.

VividImagination

Quote from: MaryGrace on December 01, 2014, 06:32:19 AM
I just finished reading this book after I saw an interview with Melissa Francis. It is an excellent book. Very validating but sad. Her sister died after the estrangement from their mother. In the the interview she mentioned her mom showed up after the book came out her mother showed up at a book signing and accosted her. She is permanently NC with her mother.

Very sad, but definitely validating that she did the right thing.
There are three solutions to every problem: accept it, change it, or leave it. If you cannot accept it, change it. I f you cannot change it, leave it.

Sometimes you're damned if you don't and damned if you do, so damn well do what's best for you.