Atheist/agnostic people?

• 21 Replies

Slowly Healing

Re: Atheist/agnostic people?
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 10:42:19 PM »

One of the most insidious beliefs that got me to try again at church is that kids need to be raised with some kind of religion. I have a small child and while I never adopted this mindset completely, I still didn't want him to feel shunned and left out.  I recently tried to find a place for him and just couldn't follow through.  He's still young, but I'm finding his behavior and development have not suffered one little bit from this.  I'm finding its much easier to teach him morals and proper behavior without being weighed down by all the religious baggage that I've acquired from my FOO.  The good news is that where we live, even though most people will say they belong to a religion, they don't attend or practice it, except for major events.

With all of this, I can't call myself atheist and I have hope for an afterlife.  I'm currently trying to focus on the good from all of the major religions, and lately, I get some comfort from some of the developments in science that at one point or another were considered science fiction. 
:yeahthat:

I have, in the recent past, gotten some comfort from the rituals of my family's religion.  Beyond that, I can't just take the whole package. I know there is more to the world/universe than what I can see. I can't just take the Bible as gospel, so to speak; I am so disappointed that I can't see organized religion as the answer anymore. I feel sad about it too, for a variety of reasons.

I'm not sure that makes me an agnostic at heart. But I love that other traditions have so much to offer. There just can't be only one way to salvation (whatever that means).  I have been in big churches where the members tear down their own kids and try to one-up each other. I've been to smaller churches where they try to get you to give your soul to their leadership.  I don't need any more of that stuff in my life - I was married to one NPD already.

I like taking the journey through this world without the strict rules and dogma. If I don't keep them in the back of my head, I find that I get along better with others. Isn't that a good thing?
"So oftentimes it happens, that we live our lives in chains/And we never even know we have the key"
- The Eagles, "Already Gone"

Nana1270

Re: Atheist/agnostic people?
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 11:03:37 AM »
HAWKIE:  How did you come to the place where you decided that you were atheist/agnostic?