"Emotional Vampires" by Albert J. Bernstein

Started by dcell59, November 12, 2014, 06:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcell59

The full title of this book is "Emotional Vampires - Dealing with People Who Drain You Dry" by Albert J. Bernstein, Ph. D.

The book takes a simple and entertaining approach to Personality Disorders, which makes the book easy to read and in turn very helpful. It begins with a few general chapters on PDs, summarizing the various types and how they occur. It then goes into detail on each type. For each type, there is a chapter dedicated to describing the PD and a checklist on how to recognize it. This is followed by chapters describing the various subtypes. For example, for Paranoid Personality Disorder, he describes the subtypes as "Visionaries" and "Green-eyed Monsters", and gives insight into each of these. Next, there is a chapter on how they affect you, a chapter on how to protect yourself from them, and finally a chapter on getting them treatment (both inside your relationship and outside with a professional).

I found this book to be enlightening, both in dealing with what was happening with my late fiancee and with myself. She had PPD and strong OCPD, while I have OCP traits that I recognized many years ago but did not understand. In fact, I had been planning to write this review for a couple of months now, and the book explained to me why I kept putting it off and pushed me to finally get on with it.

HoldingStrong

I read this book also. It's written with humor but also very serious stuff. It's a VERY good book! Good descriptions on the various PDs! I recommended it here quite a while back. I really enjoyed it!

Rainstorm

bloomie

I have read this book more than once and I find it really helpful and just tongue-in-cheek enough to keep me from taking myself and all of the toxic Emotional Vampire stuff, too seriously!  :yes:
The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.

Rainstorm

I just finished reading this book, and found it very interesting. There's lots of good tips in it on how to get along with PD people. I discovered that my husband actually has more PPD traits than NPD ones. The only thing I didn't like about it was the authors condescending attitude towards anyone who believes in God.

jenn32214

This was my first book on  PDs!  When I was dealing with extended family members with PDs without knowing what PDs were, it was totally crazy making. And it was because they didn't seem have mental illnesses that I'd heard of (depression, addictions, etc) that made it that more difficult to get  a handle on things.  So I went to my library and started browsing books on self help and psychology and when I saw this title I picked it up.  And it talked about PDs and was a wonderful introduction

Twolittlebunnies

What I like about this book are the dialogues, it really brings them to life, not only the PDs but how they make you feel.

BeingAlone

This book is very fundamental and relateable.  The language is not lofty and could be enlightening to many at differnent levels of exposure to the experiences.  It is an incredible read.  I loved every bit of the book. :D
She had blue skin.  And so did he.  He kept it hid and so did she.  They searched for blue their whole life through, Then passed right by— And never knew. - S. Silverstein