The Significance of Exhaling

• 3 Replies

ClearView

The Significance of Exhaling
« on: December 03, 2014, 03:39:01 PM »
Putting this here because the link references breathing in a spiritual/religious context.
I didn't go looking for this specific sort of info, but simply googled the
"significance of exhaling"
because
for the past week or so, I've noticed myself doing alot of it!
I mean, it catches my attention very dramatically that I'm moving around, tending to quiet tasks, free from chaos, and suddenly I am exhaling in big way, and deeply aware of the resulting relaxation.
This has been happening many times a day, generally after reading or absorbing some new realization.

http://www.plim.org/_fpclass/1Issue98/RespiratorySytem.html

It's a lengthy read, but thought I'd better include it, since I'm quoting it here:

As there is a by-product, which is carbon dioxide, in the cells when oxygen is burned, likewise there are by-products when the mind accepts new ideas and experiences. Ignorance, antiquated ideas, and preconceived notions are expelled from the mind and is the by-product of new knowledge accepted or experiences received.

When a child is taught sharing, selfishness is expelled from the mind. So it goes without saying, that once a positive principle is accepted into the mind and exercised, the waste product or negative has to leave.

Wow.
Thought someone else may have noticed this or appreciate it :)

Bloomie

• Administrator
Re: The Significance of Exhaling
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:48:35 PM »
ClearView - I walk around with my shoulders hunched to my ears and chest tight so much of the time, and as you describe happening to you, once in a great while I will find myself breathing deeply and then exhaling, expelling all the tension and negative! Thanks for this wonderful reminder of the benefits!
"If you focus on the hurt, you will continue to suffer. If you focus on the lesson, you will continue to grow." Dr. Caroline Leaf

Bloomie 🌸

xyz

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 10:54:26 PM »
Headed to read. I am seeking tools such as this as I wound up way too tight! Not sure I even do breath any more - well I mean I do, but you know what I mean ;)

ClearView

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 11:54:14 PM »
Bloomie, xyz ... just being aware of the simple things is something that goes by the wayside when we're so caught up in chaos all the time!

Deep breathing (lots more about that on the yoga sites), correct posture ...
these are easy and free and can also make us feel stronger, more in control...

Double benefit there, since I think we look less like easy targets to those who are eager to take advantage of us.

Happy exhaling !!  ;D